Marion Marchetto's Reviews > The Charm School

The Charm School by Susan Wiggs

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance
read count: 1

An engaging tale of a proper Boston young miss who becomes transformed while on a sea journey to find herself. I found this approach to the historical romance genre refreshing. However, I would caution against letting impressionable young ladies reading this.

While the sensuality falls short of page after page of explicit details, there is enough to give one pause. First is the fact that our heroine becomes 'one of the guys' aboard ship after she is hired as translator. One would need to be pretty naive to believe that a band of rough and tumble sailors along with their captain could work side by side with a young woman and not make any advances (or pounces).

When Isadora finally finds the courage to explore her own attraction to Captain Ryan it is under the influence of smoking hemp. Again, not the way a young woman would want to have her first sexual encounter.

The remainder of the story, however, is a quick read and is sure to please the reader who likes stories of the high seas. Captain Ryan's redeeming qualities lie in his efforts to free the slave family of his journeyman, his devotion to his mother, and ultimately his love for Isadora.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charm School.