Bella's Reviews > Castle in the Air

Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones

Aug 19, 11

Read in August, 2011

Finally got my hand on this one a few weeks ago! AND it was the only copy left on the shelf. Yay me.

Anyway. I think any books by Diana Wynne Jones are great and this one's no exception to that. I loved the characters in this one and this story involved a different kind of magic than Howl's Moving Castle that's just as gripping and entertaining. More Arabian night, with Abdullah dealing with things such as a flying carpet, djinns and a genie on his way to find the abducted princess he has fallen for. I kept thinking 'when's Howl and Sophie going to come out?' chapter after chapter, and was very pleased with the way the author brought them into the story. Also how she brought back other characters from Howl #1 and linked them with the new characters in this book. What I love is how each character has a purpose in the story, they're not there 'just because', but for a reason that moves the storyline, and how rounded they are by the end of it. (God knows how I hate cliffhangers of any sort - even in characters.) Great, great, great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Castle in the Air.