Emily's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, funky-fiction
Recommended to Emily by: a magazine book review
Recommended for: Anyone who likes a quirky novel
Read from August 19 to 23, 2011 , read count: 1

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a great quick paced novel that just made me happy despite some of the subject matter. It tells the story of Jacob, a teenage boy in Florida and his journey to find out the truth of his grandfather. Great quick read and perfect for summer.

It's been a while since I did one of my book reviews, but I'm bored today, so here it goes ... Onto my totally arbitrary point system.

*** I loved all the photos. Parts of it seemed like the book was written based on the photographs the author found, but that didn't detract from the novel. Plus I loved how the letters were shown in written form, rather than typed out for the reader. - Plus 5

*** I understand the narrative reason for having many characters who are uber secretive about telling the main character the full story, but seriously, I wish it wasn't so rampant in this book. - Minus 3

*** Wish I'd known going into it that it'd be continued .... - Minus 2

*** Totally looking forward to the sequel. - Plus 3

*** I sure hope there's a sequel, but what if there's not?!??! - Minus 1

*** Spoiler points - There's some ick factor with the love interest - Minus 3

*** I just read a book that I invested time and energy in to read, and when I finished it, I thought to myself, can't get that time back. Reading this one after was the perfect way to get that book out of my mind. - Plus 4

*** Spoiler points - lame super powers for a certain primary character - Minus 2

*** Liked the bird references. Cute way to distinguish who is who. Apologies for being unspecific, but I don't want to get any more spoilery than I have been in previous passed points. - Plus 3

*** I love the mythology built with this book. It could be quite the beginning for a series of books set in the world this novel creates. - Plus 3

*** Recommending a book midway thru to friends & family is kind of venturing out on a bridge (especially since the previously read book went downhill at the midway point. I'm glad this one totally maintained, I feel more confident in my suggestion. - Plus 3

Final Score ... 10 - definitely worth the investment of 348 pages and then some. Cross your fingers people that the author has a book deal for a second or third or fourth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

08/19/2011 page 35
08/22/2011 page 179
51.0% "Really enjoying this one so far."
show 2 hidden updates…