Veronica's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Mar 30, 13

bookshelves: advance-reader-books, can-t-finish, will-not-finish
Read from August 19, 2011 to March 30, 2013

I'm about half-way through the ARC of this book and I have to admit, for all the hype its getting, it definitely is NOT living up to my expectations. It is a very slow read and I have to almost force myself to read it at times. As a huge Harry Potter fan, I became interested in this book because of the comparisons and the way this book is being marketed as the "next" Harry Potter. For me, it just isn't there. Maybe as I get further along it'll be more entertaining.

Update: March 29, 2013
I have tried but I cannot read this book. I'm officially giving up on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

06/27/2012 "I have picked this book up again to try and finish it. I just don't know if I can."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trishnyc (new)

Trishnyc I am having the exact same reaction. The cover drew me in even before I had heard all the hype that surround the book. But so far, after 160 pages, I am wondering what all the fuss is about. My thoughts so far are that Morgenstern is a good writer yes but her material suffers from serious pacing problems. Plenty of flash but little substance.

Veronica I agree. I mean her descriptions are very detailed and really help to see what she's talking about, but the plot lacks any kind of flair. I was very excited for this book after seeing one of those video previews for it.

message 3: by Trishnyc (new)

Trishnyc And apparently, the film rights have already been sold. I can't even imagine how that will happen. The filmmakers will have to make up a lot of story cause so far there is not a whole lot to go on. I was expecting something on the level of the movie The Prestige but I am not even sure what this. Making pretty shapes and figures does not a magical contest make.