Lauren's Reviews > Fairest

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

Aug 19, 11

Read from June 02 to 03, 2011

A quasi-retelling of Snow White, this book is heavy on message and light on story and characters. Aza is the adopted daughter of innkeepers and, while blessed with a beautiful voice, is a bit hard on the eyes. She ends up at the palace for the king’s wedding, where she meets a handful of people, including the beautiful but vain new queen and the handsome and perfect prince. Dramatic events ensue (although not as dramatic as perhaps intended). I have no quibbles with the message Ms. Levine wanted to convey to young girls – Looks don’t matter! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! – but it was overdone and required some odd leaps of logic to get to the happily ever after. More than that, Aza is a boring character. We know she’s not pretty and has an amazing voice, but there’s nothing in her personality that’s particularly appealing. I love the message that beauty is found within – that a mirror cannot show the qualities of a person that matter – but that’s not the message I got here. Instead I learned that even ugly trolls with beige personalities can get the prince if they are fortunate enough to be the protagonist in a fairy tale. And, once again, I am left wondering why books that are supposedly about girl power have to end with the fifteen-year-old heroine married off to a guy she’s known for a couple of months. So I guess the moral is that it’s OK to be ugly, so long as you’re married by 16? Good to know. Not recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest.