Eileen Souza's Reviews > Nefertiti

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, middle-east
Read from August 29 to 31, 2011

Another enjoyable read from Michelle Moran .  Page turner, good story, and gives you enough historical information to give you an opportunity to learn something about the people and the culture of the time. I love Ancient Egypt. It was one of my first loves as a child.

I really enjoy how she selects her narrators – always someone close to the intrigue, but not in the center of major historical events.  In this novel, the story of Ahkenaten and Nefertiti is told from the perspective of her sister – Mutnodjemet (Mutny). From Mutny’s perspective you see not only the Pharoah’s actions, but also the reactions from the court and the people. Brilliant.

The story begins as Amunhotep III loses his son (and chosen prince) Tuthmosis in shady circumstances. His remaining son Amunhotep IV becomes his co-regent, and immediately changes his name to Ahkenaten, and his direction for the people of Egypt. There was a good amount of court intrigue, and the story in many ways was actually similar to The Other Boleyn girl – many frantic scenes of how Nefertiti needed to tap dance to keep Ahkenaten’s attention from his first wife Kiya, and try to reign in his genera; craziness. There were several times in the novel where I caught myself thinking of Anne and Mary, and how similar the story was to Nefertiti and Mutny – and that’s not a bad thing, but it did seem a bit unoriginal, even if it’s true that the tap dance for attention is probably a standard when many wives and the power of a nation are at risk.

Random note: I use my books hard, and I like their “loved hard” look but the paperback edition that I purchased fell apart with the first reading. I lost a big chunk between pg  119 – 192, which was slightly annoying while reading it.

It wasn’t the best 4 star book I’ve read, but it was a page turner and I liked seeing deeper into the unknown lives of Nefertiti and Akhenaten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nefertiti.