Gaisce's Reviews > The Iron Giant

The Iron Giant by Ted Hughes

Aug 19, 11

Read in August, 2011

I bought this book based purely on how much I loved Brad Bird's movie adaptation, The Iron Giant. And I think the excellence of the film completely overshadowed this book in my readings.

Hughes has a simple, lyrical style that works for younger readers. And he divides the chapters into episodes to make it easily digestible. However, the story itself has no real depth of character, and prefers to stay detached in describing the realm of the fantastic. We never really see Hogarth and the Giant become friends. And the appearance of the space dragon is an interesting trickster fairytale spin, but it doesn't fit organically with the previous episodes of the Iron Giant on Earth. If I hadn't watched the movie I would probably be more forgiving, because the story has its charms. But when compared to the animated classic, The Iron Giant seems smaller in comparison.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Giant.

Chris I saw them as two very different experiences. i feel no reason to make comparisons becuase they work separately, independently and on their own terms. Children seem to like the absence of too much "depth character" : it leaves more to their imagination.

Gaisce I made the comparison because it reflected my reading of the story, as it did many other people. The book may have come first, but when the cover image is a scene from the movie the book itself is going to encourage people thinking about both of them.

Chris fair enough.