carrietracy's Reviews > The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee

Jul 05, 08

bookshelves: yum, non-fiction
Read in July, 2008

I waited longer for this book than any other I have ever reserved at my local public library, including the final Harry Potter book. When I finally got the book, I understood why. Despite the tantilizing topic of Chinese food, the book is actually not very engaging. Each chapter told a different story, but within the chapter the writing jumped all over the place. I also felt that the style was a bit lacking in places, as though I was reading a high school student's thesis rather than a professional journalist. The chapter that suffered most from this was The Greatest Chinese Restaurant chapter, where Lee did not seem to have any idea what she was really looking for and bores the audience with her ramblings on the merits of completely dissimilar restaurants and how she can't possibly compare them, but she will. I kept waiting for her to either offer factual proof of her theories, or at least voice her opinion, but frequently throughout the book she simply presents all sorts of ideas to the reader without bothering to follow them through to completion. There were interesting bits and pieces throughout, and the subject of Chinese food is one that many will find tasty, but overall I was not impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fortune Cookie Chronicles.