Kathi's Reviews > Starlighter

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: first-reads-wins, fantasy
Read from August 23 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Really, 3.5 stars.

This YA fantasy grabbed me, sucked me into the story, and didn't let go. Jason, being the main character, was most fully realized and developed, but I enjoyed Koren, Elyssa, Randall, Tibbets, and the others, too. The dragon Arxad was most intriguing as well.

What I liked about this book is that it didn't follow a predictable pattern. The dragons have their own sophisticated culture, with humans as slaves. Humans on both worlds were mostly serfs or slaves and that didn't seem likely to change. The arrogant and somewhat bratty son of the governor becomes part of the solution instead of staying part of the problem. Story-telling can be a powerful weapon. Young men and young women can both be brave leaders.

This book is the start of a series, and while part of the adventure wraps up, there are many unanswered questions and unresolved issues. The author has a lot of story left to tell.

The author's style makes for easy and enjoyable reading--enough description to allow the reader to see the action, lots of dialog, and fast-moving action.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starlighter.

08/23/2011 page 245