Chris Gwinn's Reviews > Matchbox Girls

Matchbox Girls by Chrysoula Tzavelas

M 50x66
Mar 14, 12

Read from February 25 to March 13, 2012

I was a little apprehensive about picking this up. I've known the author since high school and hadn't read anything she'd written since then. What if I hated it? I've hated friends' books before. And it's full of fairies and magic children and angels. Oh s***. I'm going to hate this and have to pretend I don't.

What I had forgotten to keep in mind is that Chrysoula's smart and talented and just as bored by the cliches of contemporary fantasy as I am. And it took about 10 pages to get from concerned to "hey, this is pretty good", followed shortly by "wait, I genuinely like this". And I stayed there all the way to the end.

The kids feel like kids, not like miniature plot devices. The protagonist isn't "a conflicted magic wielding female who kills big bad" as another friend of mine disparaged other fantasy novel protagonists.

It's a great first novel. If there's a sequel, I'll read it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matchbox Girls.

02/27/2012 "So far, this is really good. It's full of the sort of things that can easily go wrong in contemporary fantasy, but they're all handled nicely. I'm about a third of the way through, so I can't review yet, but I think I'm going to like it quite a bit."