~Tina~'s Reviews > The Brides of Rollrock Island

Apr 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: cover-crazz, read-2012, young-adult, mermaids-selkies
Read from April 11 to 12, 2012

This is one of those books were I'm completely clueless of what I could possible say about it. So I'm gonna keep this short.
While I may have struggled with the writing style, I still thought this was beautifully told. Margo Lanagan has a way she set this story. It reads like a mythical fairy tale. It's whimsical, vibrant and almost poetic, while it's characters felt haunting, fierce and achingly real. But with that said, I have to admit, I still struggled with the way this was told. I'm usually okay with multiply point of views, but I'm not sure it worked well for this particular book. It felt overwhelming at times and I had to really work to understand everything from dialog to precise scenes that was happening throughout the entire plot point.
Still, there were precious moments in The Brides of Rollrock Island that touched my heart.
The experience alone was worth the read.

(Special thanks to Crystal for sharing your copy!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brides of Rollrock Island.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jennifer What does "cover-crazz" mean? Once I realized I couldn't figure it out, it made me curious : )

~Tina~ It just means that I'm crazy about the cover:) I've seen it be tagged as cover-love or cover-lust so I went with crazz;)

Jennifer Ah, got it! It is a beautiful cover.

Cheri Thanks for putting into words how I felt about this book!

~Tina~ Glad I could help:) This book really is a word stumbler lol