Jan's Reviews > A Lady Awakened

1931718
Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: romance, stars5, favorites, z-2011, historical-romance
Read from August 30 to 31, 2011

This was a glorious book. I won the ARC after a contest on the podcast hosted by Jane of Dear Author and Sarah of Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. They both were gushing about it like crazy, and thus I was very excited when I won.

Excitement like that is always a smidge dangerous, because it can raise expectations too high. So when it arrived in my mailbox I was a little anxious - what if I wouldn't like it? But I shouldn't have feared, because this turned out to be the perfect book for me. Like it was tailor-made.

It was glorious.

And I'm still not entirely sure how to convey how awesome this book was.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Awakened.

08/30/2011 page 68
19.0% "So far it's really good. I'm loving the view into the life of tenants and laborers and servants we're getting."
08/30/2011 page 73
21.0% "Dammit Theo! Why on earth would you say that? If she gets excited about the subject, it's obvious she cares for it! Stupid, stupid stupid."
08/30/2011 page 193
55.0% "Ha. I always say that the invention of agriculture is mankinds doom as well. We think alike Theo!"
08/30/2011 page 247
70.0% "OMG.There's so much emotion bubbling under the surface, it's making my stomach flutter." 4 comments

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I won an ARC, and I'm really excited :p

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

lucky bastard

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I KNOW.
I think you'll like this one!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey! I think the author's mentioned you (not by name) on her blog: http://ceciliagrant.wordpress.com/
as the winner of the SB arc. Woo!

message 5: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan She did! (I was entered in Giveaways for this book all over the place, but once I won one, I felt bad for entering so many).

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm excited to read this book. I've heard so much praise recently, it may just have to be my next purchase!

message 7: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Well, you might want to buy something before December, because it comes out only then alas.

I was sooooo lucky to win an ARC.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Haha! I thought about checking the release date before posting my comment, but I'm nothing if not lazy.

message 9: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Grant Would it be crass of me to Like this review? If there's anything more gratifying a reader can say than "This book felt like it was tailor-made for me," I don't know what it could be.

Oh, and I did write it for you. Even though we've never met :)

message 10: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Well, the review is still a work in progress, so who knows if you'll like it when it's finally finished.

And I'm not sure liking reviews of ones own books falls under author etiquette.

message 11: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Grant Yeah, in the interest of author etiquette I probably shouldn't comment, either. Forget I said anything. Carry on!

message 12: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Grant Dammit! I wondered if this might come under some scrutiny once I had the higher profile that comes with a book release, and someone did email me today to tell me it was a topic of discussion someplace.

This was a misstep on my part, plain and simple. Jan's review was the first I'd ever read, and I wasn't clear at the time on all the distinctions between "five-star review" and "fan letter." (It's rude to not respond to the latter, but the former does not require a response and in fact a response might be presumptuous.)

But gradually I've been getting the hang of how readers value having an author-free space in which to discuss books. And on that note, I'll duck out again.

P.S. This is still one of my favorite reviews.

message 13: by Jan (last edited Dec 28, 2011 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Just to be clear, I didn't really mind it, it was just a bit weird, because I won this book, and then suddenly I bumped into Cecilia everywhere :)

I'm just not used to actually conversing with authors, since I write reviews for my friends and myself and it just feels a bit weird.

But thanks for the nice comment Cecilia, I'm still planning to write a longer review after I reread it :)