Melinda Jane Harrison 's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Aug 19, 2011

bookshelves: historical-fantasy-paranormal, fantasy, modern-novels-by-americans, mythic, a-fable-really, 10-stars-really, best-present-tense, brilliant-fiction, characters-you-cannot-forget, completely-fascinating-fiction, could-write-thesis-on-it, cross-over-fiction, fantastic-worldbuilding, great-love-story, how-to-write-present-tense, literature-really, magicians, magic, loved, sui-generis, beloved-and-favorites-books, 2012-read, 2012-favorite-reads, viewpoint-3rd-person-present-tense, story-over-plot, plotless, 2016-favorite-reads, 2016-read, 0-girls-and-goblins, 0-gorgeously-gothicweird, all-time-favorite-ya-shelf, beautiful-descriptions, big-cast-of-characters, big-influence-on-me, enclosures-and-escapes, fiction-as-metaphor, gothic, highly-descriptive, human-desire, metaphysical
Read from September 05 to 14, 2016 , read count: 5

Annotating for reading class. Reread.

REREADING 2016

Very good book, the best written in third person present tense, which is why the reread. Again, it's clearly a metaphysical tale about artistic obsession. The time span is 30 something years and it's non-linear fragments, for most of the pieces are not really scenes. Startling and original. The focus is not on character but plot and style. (2016 note)

I love this book. The first time I read it, I was disappointed because it was not what I expected. However, I read it again and again, and realized that it was one of my favorite reads this year. I love this book. Very different. But remember, it's a fable. FABLE. Each time I read this book I love it more. Has a big influence. ONE WAY YOU CAN READ IT IS THAT the circus is your artistic dream and inner desire. Once you pursue that desire you are changed forever and belong to that need for better or worse. In other words, once you join the circus you can never leave unless you die. It's so true about artistic obsession.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Melinda Jane Harrison Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“Someone needs to tell those tales. When the battles are fought and won and lost, when the pirates find their treasures and the dragons eat their foes for breakfast with a nice cup of Lapsang souchong, someone needs to tell their bits of overlapping narrative. There's magic in that. It's in the listener, and for each and every ear it will be different, and it will affect them in ways they can never predict. From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift. Your sister may be able to see the future, but you yourself can shape it, boy. Do not forget that... there are many kinds of magic, after all.”
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

01/09/2015 marked as: read
08/27/2015 marked as: currently-reading
09/07/2015 marked as: read
02/27/2016 marked as: currently-reading
02/27/2016 "Looking at present tense third person, non-linear"
03/18/2016 marked as: read
06/25/2016 marked as: 0000-reading-along-now
07/15/2016 marked as: read
07/23/2016 marked as: currently-reading
07/29/2016 marked as: 2016-fall-reading-class
07/30/2016 marked as: 2016-winter-reading-class
08/31/2016 marked as: read

Laura Morrigan yeah, I dont think this is a book you can go into with expectations. It blew me away, it is such a great book partly because of the way it defies expectations. Also how beautiful were all the tents? I so want to live in her world!

Melinda Jane Harrison Laura wrote: "yeah, I dont think this is a book you can go into with expectations. It blew me away, it is such a great book partly because of the way it defies expectations. Also how beautiful were all the tents..."

I just finished it again and I appreciate it even more. Added a little to old review.