Kate's Reviews > Vaginal politics

F_50x66
Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: sociology-feminist
Read in January, 1982

I'm not sure if this is the book, but I think it is because the title is what I remember. I read this book when I was seventeen and pregnant with my first child. It impacted me directly and gave me an awareness of my personal responsibility to my body and also to question the medical establishment in light of their history of treating women.

If I have the correct book, this analyzes the common ways (in the 1970's) that women are mistreated, ignored and even exploited in the medical field. Many of the topics are still resonant today and many were the corner stones of feminist activism at the time.

From how the women's body is referred to in med school, to how doctors treat their female patients, to how insurance companies and hospitals exploit a woman's trust of male authority and her ignorance about her body for their own profit.

The book I read was a hardcover edition with a dust jacket that had a photograph of a clear plastic speculum against a black/red fade-out background and the words "Vaginal Politics" emblazoned on the front.

Numerous woman far older than me borrowed it and were captivated by it, one finally not giving it back -- hey Dorothy! I want my book back!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vaginal politics.