Leave My's Reviews > The Magician King

The Magician King by Lev Grossman

Aug 20, 11

Book two is fulled with even more sexism then the first one, which is almost hard to imagine, but Lev Grossman manages to pull it off by writing like some kind of horny per-pubescent teenager looking for any flimsy excuse whatsoever to get his female characters topless so he can describe their breasts in feverish, obsessive, totally unnecessary and excruciating detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician King.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eliza Uh...were we reading the same book?

Sarah I counted two bosoms in 400 pages: Julia's and Asmo's. Don't tell me I missed a set!

message 3: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I'm with Eliza and Sarah.

Mick Yeah: what? There's a certain amount of female worship/otherness in here, but it's nothing like what you wrote!

Matt It's weird that you took issue with the maybe two references to female breasts and not the fox demon rape. But, whatever. Namaste.

message 6: by Leanna (new)

Leanna bahah- I totally just remarked on the boob-obsession in the first book :) I think this is helping me make my decision to postpone reading the second. (ps- nothing wrong with describing breasts! But as the owner of two, I don't really need the detail haha)

Leave My I did take issue with his disgusting and frankly misogynist use of sexual assault as a plot point thrown-in to make his book "darker and edgier" in comments elsewhere (Gibson and Stephenson also do this to "build" their female characters and I'm really tired of it). Grossman writes badly in general, but most of the time he comes across like a horny teenager.