Mandy J. Hoffman's Reviews > The Power of a Praying Wife

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: blog-reviews
Read from August 18 to September 03, 2011

MY REVIEW:

I truly appreciate the concept of this book - having devotionals and prayers coming from the three perspectives of "I", "He", and "We" and all focused on a godly marriage. However, while there is truth in the pages, it is presented together with a very weak focus on the gospel and way too much focus on the act of prayer being the magic act needed for change. I believe there is power in prayer and I am not here to bash prayer in anyway, but I do not agree with phrases like: "The more you pray for your husband this way, the more his heart will become sensitive to the Holy Spirit's promptings." [In reference to an unsaved husband.] While I don't disagree with that being possible, I do disagree with the presentation that it will happen if you just pray these prayers. The focus on this book is heavily on our part in prayer rather than praying from a heart overwhelmed with Christ and the gospel.

Again, I appreciate the idea of this book, but I personally think it's lacking in a gospel centered focus and if you choose to read it I highly recommend reading with great discernment.

BOOK OVERVIEW:

New from bestselling author Stormie Omartian is a book close to her own heart—The Power of a Praying® Wife Devotional. Following up on the insights and prayers of The Power of a Praying® Wife (more than 3.5 million books sold) 100 brand-new devotions, prayers, and supporting Scriptures offer a praying wife fresh ways to pray for her husband, herself, and her marriage.

These easy-to-read devotions will increase any wife’s understanding, strength, and peace, as well as provide her with perspective on the situations and challenges she faces. And each prayer will help both husbands and wives be more attuned to the Holy Spirit so they can do what’s right without allowing negative emotions or unclear thinking to get in the way.

A must-have for anyone wanting God’s best for this most important relationship.

* * * * *

This review copy was provided by NetGalley along with Harvest House Publishers but the opinion expresses is my own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of a Praying Wife.