Jeff's Reviews > The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement

The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

Jan 25, 12

Read from August 18, 2011 to January 25, 2012

This is a really good book. It is a business book but it is written as a story which makes it much easier to understand and follow. I think this book was so good because the ideas discussed are things I have worked on over my career but now I know why. It made a lot of sense to me.

The story follows Al Rogo who is a plant manager for this big manufacturing company in a mid-west town. He shows up to work one day and his boss is there and is really mad that a certain order is late. Well most of the orders are late. In fact everything is late. And not only are they late, the plant is bleeding money. Al's boss then drops the bomb; the plant will close if significant improvements are not met within three months.

Al begins a journey to turn his plant around. He is guided by an old physics professor who has this new way of looking at business or as he puts it what is the goal of business. Al's professor, Jonah, does not give him the answers straight out, he points Al in the right direction and then asks important questions.

The back story of Al's life keeps the story from getting to bogged down in straight business terms. I felt that this book was relevant to me in my profession. For example at one point in the book the main character is trying to identify bottle necks in the plant that he is running. I've always been aware of bottlenecks in the jobs that I have had but in the Goal, the author discusses using those bottlenecks to your advantage.

I still have a lot of information that I am trying to process from the book but this was definitely an important read for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goal.

08/18/2011 page 55