Diane D.'s Reviews > Sister

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: library-books, mysteries
Read from September 12 to 20, 2011

This book is a debut novel by the author. That said, all I can say is I will definitely be reading more by her.

This book was a gripping page-turner, with some of the most heartfelt writing I have come across in a long time (I really can't say enough about her writing!). Phrases that made me catch my breath. For example: "being depressed would be so welcome compared with the pain of bereavement"; "I'd rather feel guilty for the rest of my life than for her to have felt a second's fear" (mother talking about her daughter); "grief is the ultimate unrequited love"; and finally, Bee talking about London which perhaps anyone who has moved away from there original home can understand: "I feel surprised, not just by the pride I feel for my city, but also by the word ‘my’. I’d opted to live in New York, an Atlantic Ocean away, but for no discernible reason I feel a sense of belonging here." (Since I am from Boston now living in LA, this phrase really struck a chord with me.)

The story is written in the voice of Bee, who is writing a letter to her sister, Tess. Bee returns home to London from New York when her mother phones to tell her that her younger sister, Tess, has gone missing. Very shortly into the story, Tess is found dead apparently by her own hand; however, Bee, knowing her sister so intimately, does not believe this is the case. We follow Bee through her often frustrating journey of trying to get to the bottom of what really happened to her sister, as she winds back and forth from past to present while relaying everything to the Crown Prosecution Service attorney, Mr. Wright.

The novel is written in a very clever style, and it took me a couple of chapters to figure get the jist of it. It's also a book that has lots to discuss, so be sure you have a friend or 2 that read it with you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.

09/12/2011 page 54
17.0% "Sucked me in right away." 1 comment
09/14/2011 page 90
28.0% "This is a library book, and it seems every library book I check out I wished I had bought. I love this book!"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Hey Diane. I just got your message, which I will respond to, but I do already have this book on my to-read shelf. I just added it to my gr-authors shelf, and I'll bump it up. Hope to get to it. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Diane D. I will have to find her on GR authors! Thanks for that bit of info.

message 3: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan Diane D. wrote: "I will have to find her on GR authors! Thanks for that bit of info."

No, I mean that shelf of mine is for books whose authors are Goodreads' authors members, those that have (Goodreads Author) after their name and have membership here. I think I'm going to get up to 1,000 books!!! More and more authors are becoming Goodreads' members. Books I've shelved I go back to, often since I first added them their authors have joined here. Very exciting!

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Vegan I think I'll love this, and hopefully will get to it one of these days!