Margaretann's Reviews > The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two

The Baby Book by William Sears

Dec 23, 11

bookshelves: baby-and-parenting
Read from August 18 to December 22, 2011

An excellent reference guide, one of the most valuable books in my parenting library right up there with "The Happiest Baby on the Block". I've returned to this book over and over again for advice and direction on everything from breast/bottle feeding (we do both) to sleeping to handling colic and more. I know it's going to be helpful as we progress into future stages of development.

My baby was very sensitive from day 1 (and continues to be). She needs a lot of physical touch and was borderline colic-y. While other books seemed to take a hands-off approach to parenting (one book actually called rocking your baby to sleep "accidental" parenting), Dr. Sear's reinforced my own intuition to respond on demand to her crys for food and cuddles. He is an advocate for co-sleeping (he calls it sleep sharing) - something that I never thought I would do until my baby was here and I realized that it was the ONLY way either one of us would get any rest.

I can understand why some working mother's would feel defensive about some of his reccomendations but AS a full-time career person who put her baby in day care at 13 weeks, I felt that his writing was supportive of my choice and offered solutions to working around my schedule. We found a day care center with low teacher/student ratios that had a philosophy that aligned with Dr. Sear's reccomendations (lots of holding/carrying/cuddles and personal attention) and she transitioned well after a few days and continues to do extremely well.

Every parent is different and every child is different. At the end of the day you have to do what works for your family. I found that Dr. Sears provided me with confidence that what I was naturally inclinded to do was good and healthy despite other experts/authors saying otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baby Book.

08/19/2011 page 79