kim's Reviews > The Queen's Mistake

The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger

Feb 18, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance, fiction, dnf

This book is one in the author’s ‘In The Court of King Henry VIII’ series. I saw this book in the library and was drawn to the cover, since I enjoy reading about historical English royalty. However, this was a real disappointment. After several days of trying, I simply could not finish the book. One of the things that really bothered my was the way Catherine was portrayed as sexually precocious at a very young age, by design. As this story is told, her grandmother and uncle felt sexual training was part of her preparation as the future queen they intended her to be. But in addition to that, the book was just not that interesting. I thought about struggling through to the end, and then realized that there are so many other books on my list waiting to be read, some of which cover this same period in history. And I felt giving the time to this book meant putting aside a book I really might enjoy.

I know some people think it is unfair to read a book when you haven’t finished it, but my take is...
If you found a book so uninteresting that you could not read it, I would like to know that BEFORE I waste my time on it. Now clearly, if you look at the Goodreads ratings, you will see I am in the minority, so read some other reviews before you cross this off you list. You may actually enjoy this one.

Why did you choose this book? The cover caught my eye
When did you read this book? August 2011
Who should read this book? readers of historical fiction who are willing to take a chance
Source: library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Mistake.