Any Length's Reviews > After America

After America by John   Birmingham

F_50x66
Aug 18, 11

Read in August, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I must admit that I did not read the previous book in this series (Without Warning)so I felt I hadn't been told the whole story.
However, I felt very much reminded of "The Stand" by Stephen King when I read this book about the disappearance being very similar to captain trip taking out 90% of the population and there being between Good and Evil.
After America left me cold, it draged on too long, it jumped to too many different people and then stoped without coming to any decent conclusion for some of the participants. I felt like I was being told "now you must buy my next book to find out what happened to the others". The last two chapters were particularly annoying with too little detail of what happened in NY and too much detail of what befalls the settlers.
I also found some items unrealistic. A 2000 head cattle herd being taken care of by what amounts to a couple of handfulls of people most of whom do not know anything about the beasts and are pretty useless riders to begin with, coupled witht he fact that most cows are supposed to have perished in the wave. Where did all these beast come from?
Also the total fuel shortage for the general population - hence horses becoming the main way of transport, but the army seems to have an endless supply for their plane attacks. Sorry I am not buying this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After America.