Sheherazahde's Reviews > The Seat of the Soul

The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav

Apr 06, 14

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in August, 2011

The sole purpose of this book seems to be to set him up as a guru to sell his workshops. He constantly makes broad unsupported universal statements and asserts things without evidence. I felt quite manipulated and just wanted him to stop including me in his royal "we".

He got off on the wrong foot with me on the first chapter "Evolution". Everything he says about scientific evolution is wrong. His point is that "our" beliefs about evolution are wrong. Well, *his* beliefs about evolution certainly are wrong. I'm just glad they aren't *my* beliefs. Disproving a argument that no one is making is called a "straw man" fallacy.

I tried to keep reading but I just couldn't get past chapter five. You don't have to eat a whole dish to know if it is putrid, once you have had a bite of it. I tried several bites before I could no longer stomach his self-important manipulative horse crap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seat of the Soul.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Love your criticism about this book. But, do you think this book should read the modern generation? Your opinion...

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark To each their own and it has been several years since I read this book, but I rememebr it as one of the best I've read in the spiritual/New Age genre.

Maybe I need to pull it back out and re-read.

Thanks for the motivation

MM

Sheherazahde Melissa wrote: "Love your criticism about this book. But, do you think this book should read the modern generation? Your opinion..."

No. There are plenty of good books on this subject. Why would I recommend that anyone read a bad book.

Sheherazahde Mark wrote: "To each their own and it has been several years since I read this book, but I rememebr it as one of the best I've read in the spiritual/New Age genre.

Maybe I need to pull it back out and re-read...."

This book was recommended to me by a woman in my book group. She LOVED it. It changed her life. Which just goes to show that everyone is different. I can only say how I reacted to it.

message 5: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Miller very good point. we each get titillated or not, uniquely. I am currently reading this book and am quite enjoying it. but I can certainly see where you might be bothered by some of his unsupported generalisations. but like any person's opinions, I take them with grains of salt. cheers, sister!

message 6: by Antonio (new)

Antonio I must argue that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Sheherazahde The absence of evidence doesn't prove anything but the failure to even try to justify your claims is evidence of bad thinking or bad writing.

I felt manipulated by his assertions of facts without any supporting evidence. Clearly a lot of other people don't feel the same way I do. And I'm OK with that.

message 8: by Uli (new) - rated it 1 star

Uli Vogel I stopped pondering anything about this book when he stated that animals do not have an individual soul. My son's comment: some hunans do not have a soul at all.

Sheherazahde Uli wrote: "I stopped pondering anything about this book when he stated that animals do not have an individual soul. My son's comment: some humans do not have a soul at all."

Good point.