Bethany's Reviews > The Ten-Year Nap

The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer

U_50x66
Aug 18, 11

Read in August, 2011

I appreciated the over-tired mind-binding that the job of primary parenting can cause as Wolitzer depicted it, and the ability to marvel at or judge the ways others seem to balance things differently while feeling some paralysis, disconnection, inability to feel a purpose the way it seems one ought. I liked the ability to get glimpses of how different it was for the previous generation and the impact of 9/11. I was intrigued by the motion anger could cause, and the dulling that having nothing of one's Own can cause no matter the income level involved.

But at the same time I felt only some of the women's relationships to each other strongly -- especially Jill and Karen, and knew only some of their kids at all, and things felt like character sketches strung together at times. Was it purposeful, to show they were friends of convenience? Because they're kind of also saving each other's sanity and that seems downplayed. This added to the disjointed emotional setting many of the women had which was cool, but seemed sort of untrue to people like Roberta, who I imagined felt some connection to her kids that was part of her, and part of what changed her, yet I didn't come away even remembering their names and I just finished the book.

I enjoyed this book well enough, but I think I also felt unsatisfied that I didn't want to be anyone in this book, which is probably simply because I wanted to learn something more from it from someone further along in those ten years. Maybe I just can't trust that suddenly we have somewhere to be, wakey wakey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten-Year Nap.