Matt's Reviews > Freight

Freight by Mel Bosworth

Aug 18, 11

“That’s when they build new snowmen to destroy. Because they love them. Because the the snowmen are there.”

So Mel Bosworth writes in his debut novel Freight. In many ways Freight runs past the general idea of what a novel is and not only breaks it down to it’s core (who the character is) but plays as a middle child does with ants and a magnifying glass creating wonder through destruction.

There is no point where the character’s name is known, and I doubt knowing this carrier of the freight even matters. Past moments, lost loves, the gruesome and failed attempts at human connection (mind and sexually), all crush down on the voice you read. Shaping and constructing him. For us.

The name is meaningless. It’s about memories and those that make the carrier who he is, and it’s memories that make us as well. Sure we’re connection by bones, blood, and nerves, but without our memories we are just bodies, reacting as our nature dictates. Mel knows this and he taunts each word with it, and it’s Goddamn beautiful for that reason.

review posted at: wordsforguns.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freight.