Talizmyn's Reviews > Hush Money

Hush Money by Susan Bischoff

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: e-books, fantasy, young-adult, urban-fantasy, my-library, reviews, 2011
Read on August 18, 2011 — I own a copy

I picked up this book due to the cover. (Hey - I admit it!) And it was available as an e-book for $1.00. Win-win, I thought. It seemed interesting enough, previewing the first few pages, and for only $1.00 I couldn't really go wrong - I have spent as much on far worse.

My initial reaction was that it seemed... interesting. The writing style was easy to follow, and did not come across as awkward like some other YA books I have read. It took some getting used to the alternating between two protagonists, and there were a few times when, despite the names being listed, I got confused about which character was the focus for certain sections. The issue seems to come from the two characters not being different enough in their way of thinking.

Once the story itself is set up, the title of the book becomes obvious. The idea of Talents (the term for various powers) works thus far, as well.  I am interested in seeing how far it's taken in the following book(s). The characters, main and supporting, seem strong and realistic. Their actions, while not always agreeable, make sense for their situations.

I found Hush Money to be a quick and enjoyable read, and things really do pick up in the end. The real disappointment for me was how short the book was, and how swiftly it all got wrapped up. Still, this was money very well spent. I will be awaiting the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush Money.