Vivian's Reviews > Strange Neighbors

Strange Neighbors by Ashlyn Chase

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: freebie, read-2011
Read from August 18 to 20, 2011

I was thinking earlier that I should finish this book, but I realized it wasn't on my Currently Reading shelf. It took me a minute to think about what happened in the second half, that's how much of an impact the book had on me.

This book had so much going on, with multiple different plots involving several different supes, none of it left an impression at the end of the day as the "main" storyline. I guess it is supposed to be the romantic angle between the two lead characters, but that was like a drive-by romance, the characters meeting and falling into bed/love with each other after a day.

While there were some bright, funny moments in the story, a lot of it I just found annoying. The idiot aunt, excessive plotlines, a hero who chooses flight over fight (not in the smart way, but in the I'm-too-chicken-to-stand-up-for-myself kinda way), unbelievableness of countless number of things.

Most of me thinks I could've been satisfied not finishing the book, but there's a small part of me curious about the next one, so the story had some charm to it. Maybe if it pops up for free or I happen across it in a library, definitely not something I'd pay for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange Neighbors.

08/20/2011
60.0% "Oh my goodness, this book is all over the place! Too many story lines, no focus, it's driving me batty."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph My thoughts exactly.

Vivian I saw your review (and others on GR), looks like a lot of the same issues with the book pop up. That cover was so alluring, and then you read it :/

Steph That cover was so alluring, and then you read it :/
I know right?! :P

message 4: by AH (new)

AH I did get it as a free download - so not worth the read?

Vivian I don't like telling people not to read a book...

The reading is quick, and there are funny bits, it just didn't gel for me. It's like a crumbly cake that has good flavor, but it's missing something that binds it all nicely together. In the end, not worth the calories.

Steph LOL! Great analogy, Miss Vivian! I love it! If you do read it, AH, let us know what ya thought of it.

If it ain't good I don't read it ! My thought exactly if I didn't know better I would of said you read my mind :)