David's Reviews > The Overlook

The Overlook by Michael Connelly

Aug 18, 2011

Read in August, 2011

Ok, I figured this one out without a lot of difficulty. That being said, I read on to the end and enjoyed the book nonetheless.

When I first encountered the plot element of missing radioactive material, I got a sinking feeling. Another author I really enjoy, Steve Martini, used to write great courtroom fiction. Then, he got the idea to turn his lawyer main character into James Bond. It doesn't work. Read the reviews of Martini's trilogy. Hopefully, he will get the message from his fans to go back to what he is good at.

Here, Harry Bosch is dealing with missing cesium, which is radioactive, and can be used to make a dirty bomb. However, unlike Martini, this doesn't mean that Michael Connelly is out of ideas and needs to turn Harry into an action hero. The cesium is simply a plot element in the larger narrative. Harry's new partner, Ignacio / Iggy is introduced, but doesn't get much time on the stage. Rachael Walling is back in her FBI Agent role, still coping with the fallout from the events of "Echo Park"

"The Overlook" is, I believe, Michael Connelly's shortest book to date, and that is fine. It reads more like a Ross MacDonald or Robert Crais novel, short, sweet and to the point. It is not a tour de force like "Concrete Blonde", "Echo Park", "Void Moon" or, "The Poet". It is simply a good story that can be read in a couple of days, with a good, but not great ending. It is a nice addition to the series, and Michael Connelly is still going strong.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Overlook.