willaful's Reviews > Very Public Affair

Very Public Affair by Sally Wentworth

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: heroines-behaving-badly, reunited-or-have-history, a-matter-of-class, angsty-goodness, buddy-read-or-challenge
Read from August 17 to 18, 2011, read count: 1

I’m not usually bothered by “secret baby” plots, but this story really made me see why so many people hate them. The heroine, Clare, behaves in a way that’s spiteful, immature and unconscionable. Although hero Jack made some mistakes (while under a great deal of emotional stress -- which she was perfectly aware of) it didn’t remotely justify her actions.

Clare is a 19 year old runaway when she stows away in Jack’s car, and so she happens to be there during an extremely low point in his life. She offers to sleep with him as comfort, but is then devastated when he doesn’t fall immediately in love with her and sends her away. (I can understand her being very upset at 19... but at 25, she should have acquired a little perspective.)

Years later, they meet again, and Jack discovers there was a consequence of that night, 5 year old Toby. And since Clare refuses to allow him anything to do with his son, he is forced to bring the courts into the matter.

Good points: I liked the angst towards the end, which brought my rating up to 3 stars, just barely. Extra props for wild-child Clare not having been a highly implausible virgin. The unusual plot is interesting and this probably could have been a really good story, if only there had been some growth of self-awareness and redemption on Clare’s part. (Also, she’s an idiot. You’re in the middle of a custody battle and you let a married friend borrow your apartment for adulterous assignations? Seriously?) Instead, Jake winds up doing the classic redeeming, when he really hadn’t done anything all that wrong to begin with.

Spoiler for those who hate adultery in romance: (view spoiler).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Public Affair.

08/18/2011
25.0% "Not liking this heroine, she seems very immature and spiteful."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read Ick on the adultery. I'm not even going to touch the secret child trope.

message 2: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully "when he really hadn’t done anything all that wrong to begin with"

Hmmm, but he was married.

willaful True, but that would be a wrong he did his wife.

Lynsey A I couldn't stand this heroine.