Shelly 's Reviews > The Bell Jar

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Apr 11, 2008

Recommended for: girls. all of 'em.
Read in April, 2008

I've heard that this book is depressing. I didn't think so. I thought it was enlightening. Plath is very good at putting her sorrow/depression/angst whatever you wanna call it in relatable terms. Well, maybe not everyone can relate--but certainly understand. Everything that drove the main character Esther crazy, from my perspective, had to do with being a girl (as in female, not young), so I even though I've never even contemplated suicide--much less attempted it--I understood why she had.
It's hard out there for a girl today, thank god I wasn't born in the early to mid part of the last century like Esther, and Plath. And, by the way, thank god that mental health has evolved from lobotomies and electroshock therapy. Well, you know, except that now we're all just doped up I guess. Hmmm.
Anyhow, what really bummed me out was finding out after I'd finished the book that Plath (whose life this book is closely based upon) did eventually succeed in taking her own life. The book left me thinking that things were all better. A nice little bow. Maybe for "Esther" things turned out swell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bell Jar.