Andrea's Reviews > God Is No Laughing Matter

God Is No Laughing Matter by Julia Cameron

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: spiritual
Read from August 18 to October 05, 2011

Julia Cameron is one of my role models! She inspires me with her life and her work. This book has me contemplating how I see God and how I see the universe I live in and in turn how that creates the life that I have.

A good example of the author giving the reader something to think about is: "The idea that if things are not going precisely as we would choose we are doing something wrong is one that most of come to all too easily." p.251.

One of my favourite passages in this book sums up all that this book is trying to share with us:
Drop The Rock
I want to be closer to God,
"I'll give up everything, you don't need to prod."
I gave up sex and drinking and smoking,
I also gave up all my joking.
And God began to disappear
Saying, "You're no fun, I'm out of here."p.272.

I am going to do all of the exercise that are contained in here as I did the Artist's Way in the past. I have done some already finding them helpful and insightful. There is so much more to this book than meets the eye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is No Laughing Matter.

09/01/2011 page 74
31.0% ""Humility and humiliation are not the same thing. It is one of the great paradoxes of the spiritual life that voluntary reaching for humility elevates rather than lowers our spiritual altitude." p.72"
09/20/2011 page 135
56.0% ""In order to flourish spritually,we must learn to listen deeply-not only to ourselves but also to others. I have found that I often sensor my own deep heart. In order to listen to it, I must ask questions that allow it to speak to me." p.133. This is a prfound book that I am taking my time to read. Things that I need right now."