Tanya's Reviews > The Bridges of Madison County

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

Apr 11, 2008

did not like it

I really hated this book. The idea behind this book, is that if your husband is a jerk it is okay to cheat on him. And maybe if your lucky, the person that you cheat with may become the love of your life. Please!! What happened to the sanctity of marriage

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridges of Madison County.

Kristen AMEN to that!!! Thanks for your comment, Tanya!

Kristin Hanes I actually didn't think the book showed it was "okay" to cheat on someone. The fact that she stayed married to her husband and didn't run off with the hot photographer means something, and actually drives home the sanctity of marriage. If marriage and family weren't important, Francesca would have left.

message 3: by Tanya (last edited Sep 26, 2010 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tanya Put yourself in the husband's place, and see if you still agree with what you said. Would it be okay with you if your husband had an affair? Would you feel that your husband felt that marriage and family were important if he had an affair with another woman, but still stayed with you? Wouldn't this be a huge violation of trust for you? If this is okay for you then we have a different idea of what marriage and sanctity of it mean, and it is possible that we are using the same words to convey different meanings.
Here is the way I am using the words. Sanctity is from the word sacred, and implies holy. Marriage is a union of a man and a wife. So the sanctity of marriage means a holy, sacred union between a man and a wife. I think having an affair is a violation of a holy, sacred union.
And you have just reminded my of the other part of the book I detested. The part where her children find the letters/pictures (can't remember right now)and sit at the kitchen table and think how wonderful for mother to have had this affair with this guy who just comes along. Come on!! What sane child thinks that of their mother. Again put yourself in the child's spot picture YOUR mother having a fling with the guy that came through town and ended up at your mom's house. Doesn't it put tear of joy in your eyes for your mother? Don't you feel so bad for her to have to live her whole life with this boring guy (your father), doesn't she deserve a little quick break from the monotony of her daily life (and your father)? It that your view of marriage?
Most children would feel violated by the mother's actions and the mother's betrayal of their father, who they also love.
This book is all about making everyone feel it is okay to have an affair, when, if marriage is a sacred, holy union, it is clearly NOT okay to have an affair. It is not okay to violate the union or bond between that exist in a sacred, holy marriage.