David's Reviews > The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth by Alexandra Robbins

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: sociology, nonfiction, parenting, psychology
Read in August, 2011

Alexandra Robbins follows seven individuals through high school. All seven feel like loners, outsiders, and just don't see how they fit in with the rest of the school. They have personality traits, and interests that don't seem to be highly valued by other students, by their teachers, or the administration. The book advances a so-called "quirk theory", which states that those very personality traits and interests that make a student an unpopular "outsider" are the ones that are highly valued outside of school, and help make an adult become successful later in life. The pressure to conform to "normalcy" is strong during high school, but the ones who resist the pressure are courageous. Around page 100, there is a real shocker, that took me totally by surprise. While I won't spoil the surprise in this review, I mention it put a whole new light on the subject of cliques, popularity, and conformity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth.