Michele's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, mystery
Read from August 18 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy

I read the Lady Julia Grey mysteries for one reason only: they are such a delightful excursion into the beauty of writing. Raybourn can string a sentence together and write charming dialog better than almost any other writer out there. The plots are lovely, but it's the writing that hooked me.

If you haven't read any of the Lady Julia books, please do start with the first one. Maximum enjoyment comes from reading the series in order and this book is the 5th in the series.

If you've been reading the series and aren't sure whether to continue (the 4th book had a different setting and wasn't my cup of tea), this book takes us back to England with Julia's delightfully eccentric aristocratic family and is far more like her first three novels, which was a relief.

Her writing is as fabulous as ever and the dialog is just as witty. Julia and Brisbane are finally settling into their relationship and it's a good one, in my opinion.

If the books keep in this same vein, I'll be a dedicated fan for as long as Lady Julia graces the pages.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.