Erin's Reviews > God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales

God, No! by Penn Jillette

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: biography-memoir, non-fiction
Recommended to Erin by: Piers Morgan
Read from August 18 to 24, 2011, read count: 1

Judging from this 'title and the media coverage it has recently received, I was expecting this to be Penn Jillette's ATHEIST MANIFESTO. I was way off, and I'm actually glad about that.

Far from a militant stance on atheism, this was a delightfully funny and often very moving memior. The stories he tells about his family are so sweetly personal and endearing you can't help but feel like you grew up with them too. His chapters on his nearly life-long partnership with Teller are very complimentary to Teller. Penn stresses the importance of partnering with someone who makes your work clearly better than what you can accomplish singly.

This book jumped around a bit. Penn's writing style is conversational -- at times rambling, at times exhibiting a mild attention deficit disorder. However, this didn't bother me in the least, and I feel like it is just a product of Penn's overall character and style. Were it written with more structure, it wouldn't have sounded like him.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good laugh and some deep thoughts

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God, No!.

08/18/2011 page 15
08/22/2011 page 100
39.0% "The chapter Penn writes on his Sister and the death of his parents was heart wrenching."
08/24/2011 page 240
94.0% "HOLY SHIT! Just got to the horrifying story of Penn Jillette and the Hair Dryer of Doom. I can never unknow this."
show 1 hidden update…