Eric's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: scifi, geeks-dorks-and-nerds, geek-pron, debut-author-2011, dystopia, pop-culture-goodness, so-shocked-after-reading-had-to-rer, read-so-many-times-im-embarrassed-t, arc, favs, geekgasm
Recommended to Eric by: Flannery
Recommended for: Any geek, nerd, and dork - also those that love us.
Read from September 16 to 19, 2011

I can't do this right now. I know I said I was going to clear my head and then write this review a while ago but really I ended up watching 80s cartoons, playing The Stacks game (Oh yes!), listening to the soundtrack, and re-reading this book a couple more times. I'm currently obsessed with it (duh) and having to Mr. Wheaton read it to me :-)

If you feel my pain add your high score to the comments...

Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

Quotes Eric Liked

Ernest Cline
“You’re evil, you know that?” I said.
She grinned and shook her head. “Chaotic Neutral, sugar.”

Ernest Cline
“People who live in glass houses should shut the fuck up.”

Ernest Cline
“You'd be amazed how much research you can get done when you have no life whatsoever.”

Ernest Cline
“I’d designed my avatar’s face and body to look, more or less, like my own. My avatar had a slightly smaller nose than me, and he was taller. And thinner. And more muscular. And he didn’t have any teenage acne. But aside from these minor details, we looked more or less identical.”

Ernest Cline
“Overall, she seemed to be going for a sort of mid-’80s postapocalyptic cyberpunk girl-next-door look. And it was working for me, in a big way. In a word: hot.”

Ernest Cline
Continue your quest by taking the test

Yes, but what test? What test was I supposed to take? The Kobayashi Maru? The Pepsi Challenge? Could the clue have been any more vague?”

Ernest Cline
“I never ran out of ammo, because each time I fired a round, a new round was teleported into the bottom of the clip. My bullet bill this month was going to be huge.”

Ernest Cline
“I felt like a kid standing in the world's greatest video arcade without any quarters, unable to do anything but walk around and watch the other kids play.”

Ernest Cline
“I watched a lot of YouTube videos of cute geeky girls playing '80s cover tunes on ukuleles. Technically, this wasn't part of my research, but I had a serious cute-geeky-girls-playing-ukuleles fetish that I can neither explain nor defend.”

Ernest Cline
“For one quarter, Black Tiger lets me escape from my rotten existence for three glorious hours. Pretty good deal.”

Ernest Cline
“I would argue that masturbation is the human animal's most important adaptation. The very cornerstone of our technological civilization. Our hands evolved to grip tools, all right—including our own. You see, thinkers, inventors, and scientists are usually geeks, and geeks have a harder time getting laid than anyone. Without the built-in sexual release valve provided by masturbation, it's doubtful that early humans would have ever mastered the secrets of fire or discovered the wheel. And you can bet that Galileo, Newton, and Einstein never would have made their discoveries if they hadn't first been able to clear their heads by slapping the salami (or "knocking a few protons off the old hydrogen atom"). The same goes for Marie Curie. Before she discovered radium, you can be certain she first discovered the little man in the canoe.”

Ernest Cline
“Going outside is highly overrated.”

Ernest Cline
“Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.”

09/16/2011
1.0% "Wheaton!!!!!"
09/16/2011 page 61
16.0% "The Great Recession lasting over 30 years? Great. That hits home a little too hard."
09/17/2011 page 139
36.0% "Smilie. Wink. <3"
09/18/2011 page 154
40.0% "Ahh those Sux0rz"
09/18/2011 page 319
83.0% "Let me tell you a little TRUE story about the ThinkGeek :: Will Work For Bandwidth - License Plate Holder that I have mounted on my car. It's not a joke. I am serious about how I get my net access and what I do on it. If you doubt me. There's pics somewhere on Flickr or you could ask any of my friends. ./endoftruefacts"
09/18/2011 page 319
83.0% "So when I read that in this universe one could rent a fat-pipe connection that allowed me to upload 10 zettabytes of data (btw I *MUST* remind you that uploading is where it's at, it's really how good your connection is... it's truly the mark of a decent connection) in under 3 hours I just about died. I know it's fiction but lets talk about how much 10 zettabytes is exactly."
09/18/2011 page 319
83.0% "A zettabyte is equal to 1 BILLION terabytes. (straight from from wikipedia) That is a colossal amount of data! That my friends is why I can't stop, nor will I stop, with these geekgasms. My balls are are sore. I'm going to need to take a few moments to rest. Please and thank you. I love you all."
09/18/2011 page 326
85.0% "Does anyone else remember the magazines facing in the basement. I'm hella worried about that now..."
09/18/2011 page 329
86.0% "Omg that was too much. Way too much. I got a little emotional back there and I'll fully admit it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raj Haha Got your Recommendation for this one, I laughed cause I was already reading it, Angela had already mentioned how great it is. I am about 1/2 way through it and I am loving it!!

Eric hell yes! I'm currently umm... well sharing is caring right? once that's done I'm going back to reading til bedtime.

message 3: by Lisa O. (new) - added it

Lisa O. Everybody seems to like this. Should I add it to my mountain?

Eric Without hesitation, yes. I'm already writing my review and I think I'm going to have to tone my excitement level down a whole bunch of notches, there's no way I could put all that honestly out in public - not that I'm ashamed of it in anyway... it's just a lot of "geekgasms"

Angela "geekgasms"! Ha! That is perfect!

Eric Angela wrote: ""geekgasms"! Ha! That is perfect!"

I'm glad you're humored. You should beat me over the head with a large heavy object.. or at least threatened me with it, to get me to read this sooner! I'm such a loser for taking all this time... thanks :-)

Angela I won't resort to violence.... This time.... Lol ;) I really hope he writes a sequel, or at least another book.

MsBDiamondDiva1 OMG!!! Another book to add to the massive to read list!!! :-)

Eric Yeah review is incoming... I've got to clear my thoughts. I am so pumped after this book. Push this one up. Swear. It's worth it. Next up is Anna Dressed in Blood but I've got like 3 reviews to do before then. That one looks scary as hell...

MsBDiamondDiva1 I will be waiting to see what your are reading. You always have good taste:-)

message 11: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric MsBDiamondDiva1 wrote: "I will be waiting to see what your are reading. You always have good taste:-)"

Why thank you. As do you ;-)

Flannery Evidently I suck ass at that game. I've played several times and I can only get past about 4 levels. Pathetic, thy name is Flannery.

message 13: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric You don't even want to know how long I played this today... smh.

message 14: by Raj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raj There haaaas to be an Easter Egg hidden in that Stacks game!

message 15: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric BWHAHAHAA! Yes, there'd better be! Clearly I am not worthy enough...yet ;-)

message 16: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I love obsessing about a book! I am off to order it now--because yeah--I'm a geek & proud of it! :D