Readnponder's Reviews > Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me: A Memoir. . . of Sorts

Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me by Ian Morgan Cron

Aug 18, 2011

Read in July, 2011

I picked this up on the recommendation of Bryan Borger at Hearts & Minds Bookstore in PA. The story grabbed me immediately. Ian's father was an alcoholic and CIA agent. His beautiful wife was the classic codependent. The family lived in England and New England. When the father was sober and employed, the family lived in affluence. Other times, they were on the edge of poverty.
Scenes in the book are absolutely memorble. I howled with laughter when, during leaner times, the family was driving in a rusted out car and the driver's seat finally fell through the undercarriage to scrap along the pavement. Mixed in, are moments of pathos, such as Ian's (positive) encounters with the local priest and the love of his British nanny, who stayed with the family even when they could no longer pay her.
No surprise, Ian Cron struggles with his own addiction as a teen and adult, running parallel to the development of his faith. I suppose memoirs about dysfunctional families and alcoholism are not new. However, this one is particularly well told. I was pleased to see it featured as a Barnes & Noble New Author Fall 2011 selection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me.