Megh's Reviews > Changes

Changes by Jim Butcher

Aug 18, 11

Read in July, 2011

The end of this book was ridiculous. Butcher is a fan of the avalanche ending-- he builds up a huge mountain of story plot points and strings the eager along until the last three chapters, where magically everything falls into place. Discoveries are made, not just about this plot, but about the overall character arch. If you're a fan of this style of writing, you'll love this series. It is well written and Butcher has refined his technique.

But personally I found my self tired of the "Dresden Plot Devices". His chivalry always causes problems, he's always too miopic. He never connects the dots until the last possible second and then pulls a vast amount of intellect from SOMEWHERE and comes up with a relatively clever way of getting out of his latest tough spot. I guess that after so many books I'd expect Harry to have learnt more.

It was a great book, and the events that happen in it would be impossible for a previous book Harry to deal with-- because thee is character growth. There is just something about the same plot devices over and over that wears on me by the end of it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ryan i love that in the end he didn't quite get that. He got the records because some putz in shipping fucked up, he had the chance to tackle big red because martin was a triple agent setting up his lord. He connected it earlier and at the end he was outgunned. He needed Mab to have a prayer of standing against the gods of the outer knight, and even then it took the aide of lea his grandfather and martin (Lea helped him get there in time and her armor allowed him to weather arianna's assault and endure long enough for her achilles heel to kick in). He has learned more