Everett Darling's Reviews > Mrs. Craddock

Mrs. Craddock by W. Somerset Maugham

Aug 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

Finished Mrs. Craddock in record time, ended serenly with the central character´s pronounced emotional turbulence being tamed. Not only by herself, not simply-at first glance, and maddeningly so- by her husband, but a myriad of factors, notably Miss Ley, Gerald, her neighbors, but also travel, books, nature and most importantly, time. 30 seems to mean something different here than what I am looking at-though I do study the mirror on occasion for visual signs of aging, bald patches, frown lines, and feel than "young" is no longer the best way to describe myself, I still feel in the ballpark of youth, if not yet a spectator, an avid left-fielder, certainly not time to settle down with a good book by a rain-streaked window-but I digress.
I want to read Maugham religiously, I want to train my mind to such exacting fancy. I´ve got Genet´s The Miracle of the Rose on the table next to me, on deck, read the first 40 pages utterly confused and irritated, missing Maugham´s clarity of vision, his singular ability to depict life as I know it, with wit and honesty, and with a plainness of speech and meaning that is neither pedantic nor amateur. Stepping out of Maugham´s world has so far always been a downward descent, but one needs to round out, move on, or so I´ve been told.
And just for the record the cover on my book rules, it´s a couple whom I suppose are Edward and Bertha running and laughing, and I like this, captures its humour and frivolity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Craddock.