Meghan's Reviews > Faking It

Faking It by Elisa Lorello

Aug 18, 11

Read from August 10 to 16, 2011

This book jumped up on my "to read" list simply because I kept getting "Lendle" requests for others to borrow my book. By the time I would respond to the request, someone already lent it out (therefore I coudl not). This intrigued me. Why was this so highly requested?

I definitely judged the book by it's cover. The title "Faking It" hinted me towards a Chick Lit book about sex. This book was so much more than that. It's about Andi, a PhD lit professor, who meets Devin, a professional (and total hot) escort. They exchange lessons: Andi will teach him about composition and rhetoric and Devin will teach her about sex, relationships, and overcoming her insecurities. Sounds like a light, heart-felt read. And then as the sessions progress, Lorello begins to peel the layers of Andi's story. She uses flashbacks of Andi's childhood, giving the reader a chance to fully understand why Andi is the way she is (often called prude by her peers). Lorello kept me interested in Devin because I always felt I needed to read to figure out who he is. She kept him very mysterious until towards the end when she finally made him the narrator. It was a nice little twist.

I also liked that Andi was smart. She was not flaky at all. A lot of romance novels are very much like a fairy tale. This, however, I could absolutely picture being a true life story. Andi was one of my friends. I even thought about her after I read the book. Yeah, this book was THAT thought-provoking for me. I had to take breaks to cry and simply think about my own insecurities, desires, and wants. Did I expect that from a book called, "Faking It"? Nope.

I also liked that the book was written in dialogue, rather than narration.

The ending of the book felt unfinished. I originally gave it only 4 stars because of this. How dare Lorello end the story so abruptly. I had so many questions. Sigh.

And then I Googled "Elisa Lorello" and discovered that there was a sequel to the book! And that's when I shrieked and immediately bought "Ordinary World". I'm currently 25% through that book and I'm re-falling in love with Andi again. You'll have to wait a few more days to find out why. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faking It.