Lou's Reviews > The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn

The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick

Sep 05, 11

Recommended to Lou by: my local libraruan
Recommended for: anyone
Read from August 17 to September 05, 2011, read count: 1

so far this is well written and very interesting. Getting into the nitty gritty behind the thinking and mindset of the characters who will cross in destiny. Sitting Bull and Custer BOTH will have their last stand but let's see what went through their minds on the way to their end.....I really enjoyed this book so now I decided to take a stab at another about the west and the impact on the Native Americans: Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gynne which was recommended by my brother.

So General Armstrong Custer was a great Indian fighter, an egomaniac and knew only one speed i.e. Full Charge ahead. But I didn't realize how he was out maneuvered by Sitting Bull his nemesis and how he was betrayed by two offices who refused to follow orders when he sent a direct message by messenger to " Come on with more troops and the pack mules with ammunition", and while he was being massacred they were, get this, drunk! Oh, sure there is a lot of autobiographical stuff by the underling officers, but I am want to believe them. They should have been court martial-ed. Alas, General Sheridan, the great white father,didn't want anything to put the US Military in a poor light. No, No, not the truth. Therefore, it seems that current affairs where the spin on the facts is not a modern phenomenon. IT existed then as well.

While this is the only book I have read on the subject and therefore have none other to compare I find it hard to imagine a better read on the battle at the Little Bighorn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Stand.