Katherine Cowley's Reviews > A Home for the Soul: A Guide for Dwelling with Spirit and Imagination

A Home for the Soul by Anthony Lawlor

Aug 17, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction, art, favorites-of-2011, adult
Read in August, 2011

This book if basically feng shui for the Westerner. If I were to write this book as a formula it would be:

Architecture + beautiful pictures + interior design + humanities class + inspiration = A Home for the Soul

Lawlor explores the symbolism that can be found throughout our homes, and what we can do to make our homes "nurturing and beautiful" to our souls, rather than "territories of chaos and confusion." I feel inspired to not only more consciously consider the arrangement of my own home, but to consider my role of a home-maker as as soul-nurturer. I have the ability to nurture both my souls and the souls of those around me.

I'd never realized how much symbolism was in my home, and I enjoyed the references and examples that ranged from the Vedic tradition to Greek mythology to the Christian Bible. I'll definitely be keeping this book on my shelf as a reference, and may do a straight through read again in a few years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home for the Soul.