Erin's Reviews > Grace After Midnight: A Memoir

Grace After Midnight by Felicia Pearson

Apr 13, 08

bookshelves: celeb-memoirs, memoir
Read in April, 2008

Good, fast read. Pearson plays the cold-blooded young executioner "Snoop" (sorry--played) on "The Wire", and I found her understated acting (she was discovered by another "Wire" actor in a bar) really intriguing. When I heard that she had been in prison for murder before she became an actor (and following her stint in jail, she was unable to keep a 9-5 job with her record and ran a profitable drug corner), I wanted to read more about her. In doing some research, I found out she had written a memoir (and she's young, only 27). If you're familiar with the character, Pearson is pretty much acting with the same mannerisms and language. She's an interesting person--undoubtedly smart, but raised in the rough Baltimore neighborhoods, dealing drugs, convicted of murder (she swears it was self-defense), a lesbian making her way through the testosterone-fueled streets of Baltimore--and the book (co-written with a well-known ghost writer) sounds true to her voice. Surprisingly poetic and poignant, you come away from the story hoping she stays on the straight and narrow with acting and keeps her life cleaned up. She literally could be a storyline on the Wire, but you hope this one actually has a happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace After Midnight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kressel (new) - added it

Kressel Housman So why only a 3 rating? I heard a radio interview with Pearson and I was intrigued, but I haven't seen anyone give her a 5 yet.

Erin It was a pretty slight book, so not much material to work with. I don't know how memorable it is, but I enjoyed reading it. Not great writing by any means, but definitely better than average. I'd recommend it. You'll probably blow through it in a few hours or less!

message 3: by Kressel (new) - added it

Kressel Housman Okay. Thanks for telling me.