Melissa 's Reviews > What Can(t) Wait

What Can(t) Wait by Ashley Hope Pérez

Aug 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011-rosie-list, teen-general-fiction, read-in-2011, 2011-teen-book-reviews, with-reviews
Read from August 17 to 19, 2011

Seventeen year old Marisa doesn’t know what she wants from life. What she does know is that her parents expect her to help support the family, and if working as an assistant manager at Kroger would make more money for her family then that is what they want her to do. Marisa enjoys school and her calculus teacher tells her that she could get into the Engineering program in Austin. For Marisa that would be a dream come true, but how can she accomplish so much when her home life is a mess?

Realistic fiction isn’t usually my genre of choice. Anyone who has read my blog probably knows this by now. Perez has created an interesting novel with a likable character who is stuck in circumstances beyond her control. Along the way, Marisa does have some allies, like her best friend, her boyfriend Alan, and even on occasion her sister.

While some characters like Marisa, her sister Cecilia, her best friend Brenda, and even Alan her boyfriend are well drawn. Other characters simply dot the background and are a bit stereotypical like her parents and her brother.

I really liked Marisa and could understand the difficult choices she is forced to make between family and her own future. This book is well written and the pacing is quite quick. I read the book in a day.

Overall, a great realistic fiction read with a likable heroine in difficult circumstances.

Cautions for sensitive readers: Some sexual situations, one violent scene including an attempted rape, and mild language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Can(t) Wait.

08/18/2011 page 85