Russell's Reviews > Death Note, Vol. 12: Finis

Aug 17, 2011

Recommended to Russell by: David Glass
Recommended for: manga readers
Read from August 11 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

For the finish of the series, I really think they put in things that were morally satisfying. I had been considering this series for my graphic literature course (if I ever get to teach it again), because I think it brings in some moral questions worth pondering. After the death of the original L, I started disliking the series, especially the character of Light. As the protagonist, he wasn't likable anymore. L's replacements, Near and Mello, never truly gained my sympathies either. I also disliked that Ryuk seemed to be relegated to background noise. However, some of these elements came back in at the end. Of course, with the battle of minds going on between Light and Near, it had to lead to the revealing of the great plan, something that comes out hokey in these types of situation. The villain, as I guess Light has become, luckily didn't monologue, though it became interior monologue, and Near had to reveal his plan to Light, though they did attempt to make this organic in trying to get Light to admit his being Kyra. Ryuk's part was well done in the end. However, the epilogue to me seemed a bit weak. I didn't quite get the final panels and maybe should look up an explanation. However, I did appreciate the moral discussion about killing and making a better world. I could use this series as an element of manga in a course. Twelve volumes make it doable. There are other good series, but their ongoing nature with many volumes would make them tough to use. Overall I am glad it was recommended to me.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Note, Vol. 12.