Lisa's Reviews > Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!

Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System! by Kathleen V. Kudlinski

F_50x66
Aug 17, 11

Read on August 17, 2011

Genre: Non-Fiction (Astronomy)

Summary: The author tells the story of how Earthlings (like you and me) discovered and learned about how our solar system works. She starts with how people thought that the sun and moon moved around the Earth and ends with the fact that we will continue to learn new things about our solar system. The author explains how people discovered different things about the solar system (like how they discovered that planets were different than stars, and how they discovered that the planets were just floating in space).

Why I Liked/Disliked the Book: The author describes some hard-to-understand concepts in a way that is easy to understand (the pictures help, too!). You can learn about many different ideas in this book: what a galaxy is, how the planets are different from each other, how gravity works, why Pluto is considered a dwarf planet, how radio telescopes work, what a comet is, how telescopes help us learn, etc.)

What This Book Made Me Think About: How amazing space is. How we will never be finished exploring space. How sad it is that NASA has shut down the shuttle program.

I wish... the book had specific facts like the names of the huge digital telescope sent out into space (Hubble) and the name of the scientist who discovered that the world was a sphere (Copernicus).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!.