Katie Rehome's Reviews > Angel

Angel by James Patterson

Aug 17, 11

Read on August 17, 2011

The only reason I'm giving this two stars instead of one is because many of the problems I had with the book - excessive use of slang, terrible grammar and syntax, gaping plot holes - I'm chalking up to the fact that the book is written for Young Adult audience. I started reading the Maximum Ride books when they first came out, in 2005, which is the only reason I read this book. I'm not 14 anymore, so instead of this book feeling thrilling and different, it seemed really awful and cheesy.
That may have just been the book itself. I'm not sure why JP chose to give Angel an entire book, given that from what I can remember she's betrayed the flock several times. It seems like he's rewritten her entire character. And I know they're supposed to be incredibly mature (in certain areas, at least) because they're "avian mutants" (bird kids) but why is Angel suddenly talking like a 30 year old? She's still 7! It just seems a little ridiculous. Maybe they fed her a thesaurus last time she was captured by evil scientists. The book dragged on for awhile, lounging around in bird teen adolescent angst, before finally picking up about halfway through, then becoming incredibly predictable, but I did like the ending. I was taken by surprise, which was nice, since the rest of the book was, well, a complete waste of time and money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.