Lavinia Lewis's Reviews > Bear, Otter, and the Kid

Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune

Aug 21, 11

Read from August 19 to 21, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Okay first let me start by saying that I really enjoyed this book, I did. When I started reading it, I stayed up until 4.am(something I don't do that often any more) because I thought it was that good. I liked Bear and Otter a great deal and all of the secondary characters were well written and well developed too.

For me, however, there were a few things that kept this book from being a five star read. For a start, there was far too much internal dialogue, and I found myself skipping whole paragraphs of it because it was the same thoughts, over and over again, even if presented in different ways. I feel the book could have been cut down by 100 pages, losing most of these thoughts and it wouldn't have made any difference to the story, in fact, it would have made it better.

However my biggest bone of contention was The Kid, who wasn't really a kid at all, he was a sixty year old college professor masquerading as a nine year old. At times in the story I liked him a lot, at other times I was rolling my eyes at some of his profound statements or questions.

Case in point: "We're only given so many people in our lives, so many people who will love us unconditionally. Why do you think that is?" I don't know, why don't you tell us? He does, in a not so kid-like way.

Generally I don't like to nitpick but I found the very un-childlike 'kid' frustrating. Yes I know there are children that are far older than their years but the kid in this book was mentally older than most forty year olds I know, and I found his character too unbelievable.

The last thing that prevented me from giving this book five stars was the plot holes. Why did Bear's mother come back? Where had she been? And how the hell did she know about Bear and Otter's relationship, and that Otter had been living in San Diego? Why didn't she make good on her threat? These issues were never addressed and I felt a little bit cheated by that. The book was already 350 pages long, another twenty pages to answer these questions wouldn't have hurt, would they? And lastly there was no actual resolution to the story. We never did find out if Bear got to legally adopt the kid after everything he went through to look after him and keep him. Why not? I wonder if the author has a sequel planned that would answer these questions, if not then I think they should have been noticed during the editing stage.

It might sound as if I didn't enjoy this book, but I did, I enjoyed it a lot, and maybe that's why I'm being so vocal about it. I just wish some of my questions had been answered.

All in all it was a very good read, and despite the above issues, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bear, Otter, and the Kid.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I felt like Joanna paid the mom to come back and break Otter and Bear up but it never says that but Otter says Joanna would do anything to get what he wants so i assume he tracked down the mom and thats how she knew about Otter and Bear and after she had her money probably didn't care anymore. That is just the impression i was left with but it never says anything... Joanna goes from cheating asshole, to phone stalker, emotional abuser, just shows up, and then at the end he just leaves??

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions oh and i loved your review!

Lavinia Lewis Thanks B, you know what? I thought the exact same thing as you. I was convinced Jonah paid off the mother. It was too much of a coincidence that Otter had been living in San Diego with Jonah and then the mother turns up and knows about San Diego. When Jonah turned up at the party I was certain it was all going to come out and then... nothing. Strange.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Jonah had already slept with someone else; it is what 3 months after they broke up? if he was sleeping around while they were together why three months later would he just show up? to me a week or two might make sense but after that just showing up to get them back without even trying? he is there like 5 minutes, gets punched in nose and is just gone? So lets see I wait three months, fly up here and after a few minutes I am just going to give up and fly home and leave you alone… I had so many questions and issues with this one I am not sure how I gave it three stars the more I think about it

Lavinia Lewis I was actually expecting Jonah to turn up after Otter said he had threatened to in his phone calls, but then when he did, it was a little anti-climatic and rushed even, considering everything else in the book went at such a slow pace. I think more should have been done with that part of the storyline and I would have liked less of the internal dialogue and flashbacks which several times took me out of the story completely.

I'm not a fan of flashbacks and often in this book they were completely unnecessary. Like the party for example when Bear bursts into Otter's room and finds Jonah there. Then we have a flashback of Otter making the kid dinner and putting him to bed and Creed calling and Bear driving to Otter's house, and all the while I'm thinking 'just get back to the story, I want to know what happens with Jonah', but when we do get back to the story, basically, not a lot happens at all.

I did give it 4 stars because I did like the storyline and the writing was very good but yes, too many questions left unanswered for me, and some of it as you said, didn't make any sense at all. If you had spent two years with someone and split up, I could understand waiting a couple of weeks to give each other breathing space, but three months? And as you said, after travelling all that way he's just there for five minutes and then goes home?

I would be interested to know if there was a sequel planned but I honestly don't know if I could read another 350 pages of Bears angst ridden thoughts.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I know i hated the flash backs and that one was the worst one. i would have liked it a lot more if it was just a continuous story and not jumping back and forth. All the flashbacks caused is repetition since we always repeated the scene where we jumped back from.

All the interesting stuff or would be interesting to be was going on with Otter so we never see it. I thought Otter might reflect on stuff in the epilogue but he never did. Like does he still talk to Jonah? Did he go get his stuff from California? Did he see Jonah when he was there? Did he even care Jonah introduces himself as Otter’s boyfriend? Why didn’t otter care or say anything when Jonah introduced himself that way he just stood there looking guilty?

Why are condoms never mentioned? We know otter was a slut and then his boyfriend cheated on him but he just jumps into sex with otter and neither of them even wonder if hey, do you have some fancy STD’s I might not want to catch?

There was just so much stuff that just stood out to me.

message 7: by Heather C (new) - added it

Heather C Love your review!