Denise's Reviews > The Tavern in the Morning

The Tavern in the Morning by Alys Clare

Aug 17, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, my-fav-authors
Read from August 17 to 18, 2011

A poisoned meat pie and a dead customer in medieval England. Sir Josse d'Acquin, a knight with a knack for solving mysteries, is a friend to Goody Anne--the local tavern owner. When one of her customers dies from a wolf bane-laced meal, Josse knows that the food was tampered with and he enlists the help of the young Abbess Helewise from Hawkenlye Abbey who has worked with him on a previous case. An old woman becomes murder victim #2 but her's was not an easy death. Her body is found at the edge of a frozen stream. Her head and shoulders lie underwater and the water has frozen around them. But there's a dirty footprint on the back of her head scarf. And Josse also finds that two of her fingers have been broken.

NOT for young readers (graphic violence)!

Note: By this point in the series, I have to accept that the author either is a practitioner, or knows a lot about, the Pagan or Earth religions. References to "respect" for the forest, the male god, herbal lore, those who do worship the Christian G*d, etc., is what alerted me to this. I respect the author's beliefs (they mesh with my own) but if you're one of those who believes in only ONE religion to the exclusion of all others you may not enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tavern in the Morning.