Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3270188
's review
Aug 17, 2011

it was amazing
bookshelves: favorites, kat-s-book-reviews, leaves-awesomeness-behind
Read from December 21 to 23, 2011

Today I almost attacked a man in public. A man who was yelling at and abusing his partner. Kicking the trolley, shoving her and screaming obscenities at her. I ditched the trolley I'd been pushing and stormed toward them, my mind blank of anything but ruthless fury.

The next part was like out of some stupid romance novel. Mr Kennedy pulled back on my arm and said, "No. There is no way you're going over there!" He took off the baby sling, handed it to me and sent me to go put the groceries and baby in the car while he handled it.

Usually that's the part of the novel where the female heroine swoons or something but I only got angrier. Did he just relegate me to child-minding and packing away groceries? Because I have a uterus? To say I was unimpressed would be an understatement.

Never before have I actually wanted to be a man. I love being a woman and I think being a woman is a fantastic thing to be. But I wanted to kick that man's ass. I absolutely hated myself for being weak and puny. It's not fair. To not be able to fight your own battles, to not be able to stand up for weaker people when you want to. It's so, incredibly, painfully unfair. Why can't I have big muscles? Why couldn't Mr Kennedy wait by the car while I got to go up and play harpsichord with his lower intestinal tract? Why must I swallow my pride and accept that I'm just not as strong or muscular as Mr Kennedy?

Perhaps it's that drive that made me connect so much with Tris. I wonder what kind of personality types would enjoy this novel? I've seen a lot of three star reviews and I just can't fathom why when this book was a solid five stars for me. Even with it's somewhat implausible storyline I loved it.

I loved all the characters, especially Tris, for being a hardass, cold motherfucker when other YA protagonists would whither and melt into a gooey puddle of patheticness.



Maybe I connected with it because I could absolutely imagine being Dauntless. Catching moving trains? Abseiling? Fighting? Sign me up now. I think I would have loved every minute of it.

The writing was quite smooth and the action sequences were clear, concise and well-explained. The pacing and the plot never really give up, making this book difficult to put down.

Over all, I thoroughly loved this novel. I'm hard-pressed to come up with any flaws or issues that annoyed me.

Most of all, it made me wish I really could kickass and take names like Tris does. Perhaps taking up kickboxing would be a good place to start.

Don't forget to check out my blog, Cuddlebuggery, and add me on twitter!

blog linktwitter link
594 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

02/16/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 88) (88 new)


CerejaCult CerejaCult Oh I love this book,,, :)


Penny Raspenny Currently reading?Oh dear,why?


Kat Kennedy Mixed opinions already! Dissent! Who to trust?


Penny Raspenny No one yet! It's your desicion to make after you've read some of it. I'll just wait to see your infuriated comments in the process! ;)


CerejaCult CerejaCult My oppinion is: trust no one!!!! Really, trust me. LoL
Ok,, it's hard to say: Oh I love this book and you'll love it too cose I have my reasons to love it and that doesn't mean that you'll see it the same way that I do.
But tell me,, what are you thinking of it so far??????


Joyzi I love this book too.


Rafaela Nice review!


Galla Adding it to my to-read list.

Side note: I had no idea what "abseiling" meant, so I looked it up and realized I was clueless because I've always heard it called "rappelling." However, "abseiling" sounds cooler, especially since I'm sure someone out there has an "ab sailing" Tumblr account.


Hina I didn't like the book very much either. I thought Tris was too much of a Mary-Sue, it was as if she didn't have a single fault.


CerejaCult CerejaCult Yeyyyyy,,,, I'm glad you like it,, :)
Luv the review too,,,,,
FYI,, after I read it I went to youtube to learn some fight stuff and how to kick ass lesson 101,,

Not much help there, but at least now I can rest on the sure that, if I really wnt to, I can do some damage to the bastard,, even having an uterus and stuff,,

description

I guess that's why I like Kill Bill movies so much :)


description


message 11: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I know this is off topic, but happened to that a-hole that was being abusive to his girlfriend on the trolley?


Alexa Elisandra wrote: "Yeyyyyy,,,, I'm glad you like it,, :)
Luv the review too,,,,,
FYI,, after I read it I went to youtube to learn some fight stuff and how to kick ass lesson 101,,

Not much help there, but at le..."


lol, me too. I started rewatching episodes of Fight Quest on youtube, which wouldn't actually teach you how to fight, but its fun to watch people train so hard and then kick eachother's asses.

So, yeah, I think you're right, Kat, about certain personality types liking this book and connecting with Tris.


Kaethe Kat, I too desire to be large and threatening sometimes. But yeah, what happened with the assberet?


CerejaCult CerejaCult Alexa wrote: "Elisandra wrote: "Yeyyyyy,,,, I'm glad you like it,, :)
Luv the review too,,,,,
FYI,, after I read it I went to youtube to learn some fight stuff and how to kick ass lesson 101,,

Not much hel..."


IKR? so funny LoL

I luv this strong inside out stuff that this book has,,,

Oh,, and one more thing girls,, we can be smaller and weaker then the guys but in a fight we can do some really big damage to them ,, agility and grace go a long way LoL,,
Girl power uhuuuu!!!!

[image error]


message 15: by Kat (Lost in Neverland) (last edited Mar 07, 2012 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat (Lost in Neverland) I agree that women being weaker than men is annoyingly stupid and unfair. I think all women, especially young girls, should take martial arts. It teaches ways where you don't need brute strength to disarm an opponent.

p.s. Always remember girls, all men have a weak spot! (hint: look down)


Meghan I thought it was exhilarating!


Amber J. cool review! I gave this book 5-stars too, I loved it, and I voted for it as the Best Book of 2011!

I feel weird too, when other people (a lot of other people) dislike a book that I think is awesome, but being a true badass means not bowing to peer pressure, not being afraid to voice your opinion, not conforming to others' expectations, and turning right when everyone else is going left--it means you're Divergent :)

(I can't blame Mr. Kennedy for wanting to keep you safe, but just knowing that coming to that woman's rescue was your first instinct, speaks volumes)


rameau Let's just agree to disagree on this. I just couldn't get into it and I made the mistake of expecting logic in the story.


message 19: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Raspenny rameau wrote: "Let's just agree to disagree on this. I just couldn't get into it and I made the mistake of expecting logic in the story."

I totally agree.


message 20: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Dec 23, 2011 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Kennedy It's perfectly okay to not like the same books, guys! I just loved it, that's all.

As for yesterday's asshole - Mr Kennedy is very cold and controlled he just stood between the man and the woman.

The guy got in his face and said, "What are you looking at?"

Mr Kennedy shrugged and said, "Nothing. Just watching."

The guy got quiet and ordered the woman into the car. Mr Kennedy pulled out his phone and called the police and gave them his registration number. Then, I can't say how, the guy managed to get a massive dent in the front of his car.

When I got home I also reported the incident to the Deparment of Children's Services because they had a little girl with them.


Jayde Most of all, it made me wish I really could kickass and take names like Tris does. Perhaps taking up kickboxing would be a good place to start.

You should totally do it! I felt the same way after reading about so many kick-ass heroines in books, so I joined Thai kickboxing about 8 months ago. Now I'm in awesome shape, much more confident, and I get to spar with attractive (often shirtless) guys twice a week. I'd definitely recommend it.


CerejaCult CerejaCult Jayde wrote: "Most of all, it made me wish I really could kickass and take names like Tris does. Perhaps taking up kickboxing would be a good place to start.

You should totally do it! I felt the same way after..."


wow,, that sounds kick ass LoL


message 23: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Kat wrote: "It's perfectly okay to not like the same books, guys! I just loved it, that's all.

As for yesterday's asshole - Mr Kennedy is very cold and controlled he just stood between the man and the woman...."


Well its good that you reported it. The whole situation makes me sad. I'm 33 now, but when I was 18, I married a guy that was horrificaly abusive. I mean throw you in the wall and break the table with your body abusive. I stayed with him for three years, and then one night I asked a friend to help me leave and she picked me up with her little girl at 3am, while he was asleep.

Best thing I've ever done in my life!

I'm a huge advocate against domestic violence. If I see abuse against children or women, I report it!

On a brighter note seven years later I met the Best Man in The World, my husband, and learned what love really is.

Bravo for reporting it! And anybody else, if you see someone being harmed do something about it.

..... ok I'm off my soap box for the rest of this month.


Noelle I found a quiz on the facebook page for this book that tells you what factions you would be in. I'm Dauntless. =)


Lauren I think Tris was a hardass for being forced to repress her feeling for so long. You would have to repress all your feelings in the Abnegation lifestyle. I agree she was refreshing.


Alexus It's like we're sisters. You just GET IT like I do. Some of these softy readers just can't take the badassness but you and I embrace it. You are fuckin' awesome!


Whitney i LOVE this review. I cannot agree more with you, the whole wishing you could be a badass.


Eva Rose I loved Tris and I loved her boyfriend for liking hard hardass, cold, motherfucking self. Four isn't in any way threatened by her strength and together they where a breath of fresh air.


Ronyell Awesome review Kat!! I always had feelings where I wanted to stand up for other people too, so I can relate!


Haley Kat I always love your reviews! You should get paid to do what you do


message 31: by Deb (new)

Deb Wow, you guys are awesome for getting involved in that incident!

As for this book ... It's hard to get past the ever so almost identical premise to the Hunger Games. So much so it looks like she took The Hunger Games and said "I could have written that", and did ... However, your review might convince me to take a look, because I wasn't a huge fan of The Hunger Games. Maybe this one is better?


Criss Copp I just bought this ebook and I am not studying for my exams in four days tonight, just so I can immerse myself in this book... so excited!


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

its really annoying that the people who hate this book have an excuse that ' we dont even know the history of the factions and why it was created' in INSURGENT it is all explained, loved your review by the way


Flying Sandals I am currently reading it, but I don't think I can make it through much more. All I get is, 'Hunger Games' vibes every single page.


message 35: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex I LOVED THIS BOOK. Thank you for saying what you said! I hate the weak, low self-esteem, dumb-ass heroines! And Tris was completely awesome, because she actually was able to take care of herself instead of being another Bella.


 Marla LOVED this book and I am so not Dauntless, but I thought Tris was incredible struggling to reconcile her nature and her upbringing. I wouldn't have liked her as well if she had been raised in Dauntless.

I like smart, strong, clever heroines too. How can people think she's a Mary Sue, no Mary Sue I know could beat up Molly and best Peter.


Emily Tillett I knew there was a reason I liked you, Kat. Then again, I like anyone who give s a good review on my favorite book.
This is the second time I have stumbled across one of your reviews--the story about the badass neighbor from your Heist Society review was one I won't soon forget--and I must agree with you completely.
I'm with you fully for this review! It may not be plausible, but not much science fiction really is. I mean come on, I talked my symbolism, plausibility, and old-classics obsessed sister into reading Divergent--AND SHE LOVED IT.
What I can't figure out is why people can't get past the implausibility of this book. I mean, come on, I picked up Matched, liked the first book, then found enough plot holes in the second two books to fill a block of swiss cheese.
Not to mention almost everything that people complain about is explained in Insurgent. Can't wait for book 3.


caitlin Finally! A five star review! I loved this book so much. I loved the plot and how it took such an unexpected turn. And I really connected with tris. I just don't understand how this could be a three star book. :)


message 39: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava OMG!!! You're awesome!:) have you guys read Fearless? <3 that book! Um.. So I'm having some trouble finding some good dystopian-romance with a strong female character books... any suggestions?


message 40: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Btw I'm completely dauntless...


Galla Ava wrote: "OMG!!! You're awesome!:) have you guys read Fearless? <3 that book! Um.. So I'm having some trouble finding some good dystopian-romance with a strong female character books... any suggestions?"

I'd suggest Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi if you haven't already read it.


Jessica did you read Insurgent?


Patty I totally agree with you. I read the book yesterday and I loved each character's strong personnality. I especially loved four/tobias. But then end decieved me just a weeny bit... both of them become so cheesy and gooey!! all of a sudden they're both kissing and saying I love you and saying oh your so pretty oh no i'm not. Apart from that weeny thing i loved it from beginning to page 494.... anyway you probably don't give a rats ass about my opinion which is fair enough!! :)


Victoria Wright I can't wait to read this book! It's sitting on my dresser and I believe it's calling my name! :)


Jessica I completely agree with you. HOWEVER, and yes, this will sound weird in a way. You probably are not puny and weak and you should NOT want to be a man. I completely understand that Mr. Kennedy should not have told you to stay, and stereotypes like that are really pissing me off. But what YOU should not have done (I apologize if this sounds bitchy, because it probably will) is to go on about how weak and puny you are. Now, I don't know if you were talking about you specifically of the female gender, but it did come off as if you just dissed the women of the world (which I'm sure you didn't intend to do, I'm just really good at turning around what people say so that next time they think a little harder at what they write.) That said, your review of the book was fantastic and it made me want to read the book. Thank you, and thank you for the story, I needed some political/society related problem to rant about. Gosh, It's just not a good day without a good, healthy political rant, now is it?


message 46: by Kat Kennedy (last edited May 09, 2013 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Kennedy I've thought over your comment and read my review again. I always appreciate feedback, and politely given critical feedback is always welcome.

I took my time thinking about your comment, mostly because I disagree with it - and I wanted to make sure it wasn't just wounded pride.

I don't think you're right for telling me I can't write about that feeling. I am a die-hard feminist. So imagine how I felt at that moment when I wanted to be a man? As I said in my review, I love being a woman.

On top of that, I am a fitness freak. I spend an hour and a half in the gym every day, six days a week. I'm a boxer. I lift weights. I'm running a 5k Warrior Dash soon.

If a man spent as much time in a gym as me, it is doubtful that he'd have had to question whether he could have taken on that abusive asshole. That is where my frustration came from and the intention of my writing. Because even though I work out (A LOT) and I am strong in many ways - that piece of shit who probably never works out - was probably still stronger than me.

I see it in the gym all the time. I see men come in for the first time, faff around in the weight section then decide to try something. Their starting weight usually twice what I have spent the last six months trying to achieve.

There are a lot of strong body building women out there. I know, because I work out with them and I spot them and we chat about competitions together while our trainer screams at us to do burpees.

But in that moment, faced with physical confrontation, I still felt weak and puny. That's a feeling. That was real in that moment. I can't apologize for a feeling. Nor can I control it. And I think it's okay to talk about that feeling in the process of honouring an ass kicking protagonist who fights her own battles and overcomes feelings of weakness and punyness.

I think that's uplifting and that's why I'm not going to apologize. Even though I appreciate your efforts and what you're trying to say.


Colette GAWD you make me laugh! GIRL POWER!!!


message 48: by Julia (last edited May 10, 2013 12:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julia Sorry for butting in here, Kat, but what you said rang so soundly with me that I thought I would share my two cents, too. I understand your feeling of being weak and puny so strongly. While I'm not a fitness freak (even though I always tell myself I'll get to the gym... 0:)), I consider myself to be tough and unbreakable. However, those feelings were shattered rather recently on a trip I took to Brussels. As I was walking, I realized I was "in the wrong part of town". I've never been particularly nervous about the places I walk to, but this was a foreign country and there were crowds of men everywhere. At first, I told myself I was being sexist, that a woman was just as likely to attack me as a man, until these two men approached me and started chatting me up.

I was nervous as hell. They turned out to be harmless. They were just being flirts, wanted my number, that sort of thing - but I realized in that moment that if they both took me on, I wouldn't stand a chance. And that has really rattled me.

What I wanted to say, though, was that being small isn't necessarily a bad thing. You hear it all the time: the agile one has the advantage over the strong one because they can wear out their opponent. That was one of the things that kept me feeling okay - I run ridiculously fast. I could easily elude those two men had they decided to try anything, but I knew I couldn't fight them.

My aunt, however, could. She is a fifth degree black belt and I have seen her kick some serious male ass, including multiple males. I don't think that being strong has much to do with it - those men lifting weights that you dream about lifting? I think you could take them on. It's not so much about pure, brute strength (although that certainly helps) as much as it's about knowing what to do with your strength and playing up your attributes.

I don't know if you've ever taken any sort of martial arts classes, but maybe that could be something you could look into, if you want? My entire family took karate (except me because I took ballet, which I loved, but nowadays I sort of wished I had taken karate. As soon as I get back to the States, this is something I am going to remedy). I'd love to hear your opinion on this, too. :)

Edit: I just wanted to add that, however, if a woman were to face off against a man who was equally trained as she was, then the chances of winning are probably in the man's favor, and that physiology just pisses me off, too. So, I still see where you're coming from and I share the frustration. However, I think that most people who you come across in dark alleys aren't necessarily trained, but still dangerous.


message 49: by Kat Kennedy (last edited May 10, 2013 01:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Kennedy Well, absolutely, you're right, Freebird. There are so many women who kickass. This is why I'm saying I loved Tris. Just like I love Breinne.

But *I* felt weak and puny. And I felt in that instance, that it was so unfair. Even though I am strong, and even though I do box, I am not a fighter.

Point of fact, neither is my partner! But for the simple fact of being a man - he gets to walk up to someone, give them an intimidating glare, and they take him seriously because he has big muscles.

This is bullshit. It's frustrating and makes me angry. Which is maybe why I love women, both in real life and in fiction, who kick ass.

Just a comment on feeling sexist because you were intimidated in a sea of men - just because a man or a woman CAN attack you, doesn't mean you don't have a right to feel uncomfortable when surrounded by men. Statistics say that men are far more likely to be the perpetrators of violence against women AND men.


Julia Ah, yes, I understand what you're saying now! I think I might've misunderstood your first comment. I thought your partner was going over there to fight, so that's where the confusion occurred. When it comes to intimidation, men definitely hold the upper hand on this one. I completely agree - why is it that a man can walk up to something, glare and then move along, but if a woman were to do it, she'd get scoffed at? I see where you're coming from now, and I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the last bit of your comment! I think I always feel a little guilty when I'm uncomfortable around men - which, you're right, I have every right to be - because the only case of domestic violence I have ever encountered was my high school friend's mom beating the living hell out of her dad. Men are more likely to commit violent acts, though, I do remember reading about that somewhere, too.


« previous 1
back to top