Limonessa's Reviews > Venom

Venom by Jennifer Estep

Aug 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: with-smut, uf-or-pnr, fantasy, vampires, adult-fiction, ebook, swoooooon
Recommended for: lovers of this series
Read from August 17 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

It is a truth universally acknowledged that...

- Gin Blanco, aka The Spider, professional assassin, always carries at least five silverstone knives on her at all times: two up her sleeves, two down her boots and one in the small of her back;

- Finnegan Lake drinks a lot of chicory coffee and the supposed caffeine content does not affect him;

- the symbol for Northern Aggression is a heart with an arrow through it;

- Mab Monroe's rune is ruby with wavy rays all around;

- Gin Blanco's eyes are grey whereas Owen Grayson are violet (and by the way, I still have to meet in my life somebody with violet eyes);

You might have guessed from my remarks what kind of problem I had with this book.
If there was ever a GoodReads' contest for Queen of Repetitions 2011, I would vote Estep.
Because she not only recaps events of previous books in the series, she recaps CHAPTERS within the same book. If we took away all the repetitions the book would probably be half its size.
And it is with great chagrin that I say this irritated me and distracted me quite a bit. It feels like like the author suffers from short-term memory loss OR she thinks that it's ME suffering from it.

The plot is good. I enjoyed it quite a bit and that is why I am giving this book 3 stars anyway. The writing is smooth. Characters have become familiar to me, they are well formed and interesting. I liked how she introduced Bria in the story, I liked that she got rid of donovancaine and I give my blessings to Owen Grayson. I WANT to know how the story goes on. But can I take another or multiple books of continuous recappings?
I am baffled: who edited this book?

This could be easily a five star book if not for the fact that my intelligence feels insulted by it.
If you're a lover of UF this is definitely a series I recommend reading. If you can stomach the recappings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

08/17/2011
10.0% "He leaned against the door frame, a mug of chicory coffee in his hand. Finn drank the stuff at all hours of the night and day, but the caffeine seemed to have little effect on him" There she goes AGAIN! Chicory coffee= NO CAFFEINE. AAAARGHHHH"
08/18/2011
26.0% "Donovan Caine has been already mentioned 4 times so far. Four times too many."
08/19/2011
40.0% "She MUST think I suffer from senile dementia."
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-27)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 27: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH My grey eyes met his hazel eyes.

Limonessa Some things seriously drove me crazy. Has nobody edited this book?

message 25: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I did a count of the word eyes and their various colors when I read this book. She does write a good story, but it really needed editing to get rid of repetition.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You have got to be kidding. And here I was, peacefully living my life, convinced that Owen Grayson has green eyes. :D

message 23: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Violet eyes - apparently Elizabeth Taylor was known to have violet eyes. I think it depends on the lighting.

Limonessa Maja wrote: "You have got to be kidding. And here I was, peacefully living my life, convinced that Owen Grayson has green eyes. :D"

YOU ARE SLEEPING! Go back to bed :P

Limonessa AH wrote: "Violet eyes - apparently Elizabeth Taylor was known to have violet eyes. I think it depends on the lighting."

Supposedly she had. But have you seen anyone yourself? There can't have been one person in the whole world.

message 20: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Nope - Can't say that I've ever seen or met anyone with violet eyes. I'll be on the lookout.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

AH wrote: "Nope - Can't say that I've ever seen or met anyone with violet eyes. I'll be on the lookout."

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Moss wrote: But apparently there's some regressive gene out there in romancelandia that has every second heroine landed with exactly that shade of eye colour. Purple eyes, red hair, and hidden powers. What sort of weird DNA are these women carrying, is what I want to know. Were their parents rainbows? ..."

That, I'd love to see.

message 17: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph LMAO, Moss!

Jessica Thank you!! I just picked up this series the other day and was thinking that maybe it's because I've read quite a bit in a short while that it felt repetitive. Honestly, if I had to read about the same series of emotions playing through Donovan's eyes (ie, lust, guilt, lust, guilt) when his hazel ones met her grey ones, I was going to lose it. It really got to me in the second one when she's trapped in a cave and the same line is used two times almost exactly word for word less than 3 or 4 paragraphs apart, then again a little bit later, but slightly reworded. Because, you know, that doesn't count.

Charity Hahaha! I could not agree more! I, too, love the story but can hardly bare more chicory coffee and emotions so obvious they flitter across eyes continuously. I've never met anyone that easy to read but apparently in "novel world" they're a dime-a-dozen.

Hopelessromantic500 completely agree with you. If each chapter was an episode of a tv show, i would be gratefull. but, seeing that there is 0 time between the two chapters, I'm pretty sure that I'd remember what happened.

Nikoya I have noticed a lot of Urban Fantasies have this problem. I haven't figured out why they do so many recaps? How many times do you have to tell us the same information or details. It has become my biggest pet peeve in this genre. But like you I do like the story and characters.

message 12: by Lana (new)

Lana OMG i came online to say EXACTLY what you said! I love this series but the annoying repetitiveness is really killing it for me.. I understand a refresher for the 2nd book but seriously the 3rd, 4th etc???

Nikoya I wonder if they have to have a certain word count to meet some kind of publisher guidelines; and that is why they put recaps through out the story? A lot of series do this and I am hoping one day the editors will say,"Okay enough recap get to the story."

Limonessa Nikoya wrote: "I wonder if they have to have a certain word count to meet some kind of publisher guidelines; and that is why they put recaps through out the story? A lot of series do this and I am hoping one day..."

As I said, short term memory loss - both her AND her editor.
Apparently, the series is a downward spiral...

Lady Jaye Totally agree with the bit about all the recaps and needless repetitions. And Donovan Caine. Great review!!

Rubysbooks You forgot about Gin's house that is surrounded by silverstone and that the house belonged to Gin's mentor, Fletcher and how he trained her even though his son is two years older than Gin. *grrr*

Limonessa Rubysbooks wrote: "You forgot about Gin's house that is surrounded by silverstone and that the house belonged to Gin's mentor, Fletcher and how he trained her even though his son is two years older than Gin. *grrr*"

Rubysbooks Lisa O. wrote: "Sorry, my bad :) some details escaped me, despite the repetition. I'm probably too traumatized to remember them "

LOL It's ok :D I was pretty traumatized myself. Probably why I still have to read the last book. You're right though, if you take the repetitions out, the book would be a lot thinner

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH I skipped to book 7 and the editing gets way better. The repetition has gotten cleaned up and I really enjoyed them.

message 4: by Kerry (last edited Apr 28, 2013 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kerry Furno I have to agree whole heartedly. So much potential but soooooo much repetition. It almost feels like she assumes every reader is a new one. Which is insulting to her fans and herself. Expecting no loyalty so having to explain everything every time. She could take a lead out of JD Robbs book and stop treating her readers like drooling infants. But I will struggle past the repetition because behind it there is a good story. Even if I have to read the definition of what a Rune is every time she describes one. And her about her spider rune.... The symbol for patience......(is that the patience of her readers????)

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Ferguson Edmondson I noticed the same thing, and found it quite irritating. Her first two books in the series weren't this repeptitive. Other than than, I enjoyed the story and think she has a gift when it comes to describing things in unusual ways.

message 2: by Sherri (new) - added it

Sherri Thank you! You summed up exactly how I feel about this series. Yes I'll keep reading them because the story is excellent, however the w writing may cause me to miss out due to skimming deletions and over descriptive phrasing. I like details but there is a limit before I jump paragraphs.

Maria Loved your review. I wish I had read it before I wrote my own because you said it so much better than I did.